Saturday, February 17, 2007

Princess Pants Head

As I child, I never really got into the whole princess thing. I wasn’t obsessed with Disney movies, I didn’t have princess dress up clothes (just some of my Mom’s old night gowns and some boots) and my Dad called me (and still does) “Bean”, not “his little princess.” Actually, that’s not true: when I was 3 or 4, I stole some dried flowers from a lady while at a church Halloween party and when she confronted me about it, I lied to her and told her I didn’t know where they went. My Dad drove me over to her house after the party, had me apologize and give them back. On the way there, he said that I was his princess and princesses don’t lie and steal. Maybe that’s why I never liked princesses—I preferred to lie and steal.
Anyway, it came as a surprise when Ruby started getting into Princesses. She’s not bonkers over them like some of her friends are, but every now and then, she’ll get her “princess outfit” on. Note the bow clipped to her neckline—it has to be clipped on at a very precise angle.

Complete with her “princess socks and shoes.”

And sometimes her “priness halo.”

Then she dances “like a princess.”

She picked these out:

And this. She prefers things to be pink:

And just when I start to get nervous that she’s so girly and maybe she’s someone else's daughter, she calms my fears by bringing me May’s snow pants and says “Hey Mom, could you put these on my head?”

2 comments:

Audra Bollard said...

Funny, funny! I cannot relate to the princess craze at all, of course, but I would like to experience it someday instead of the truck phase, the train phase, the insect phase, the throwing balls at each others heads endlessly phase, etc.

[alisar] said...

You've of course seen my daughter dressed as a snowwoman. This has been a recurring theme throughout the winter. Perhaps she and Princess pants on head could form a coalition against all things stylish.