
Last night we went to dinner at this little family owned pizzaria. The pizza is great but it’s even a better place to people watch. It’s owned by an Italian family who all have thick accents and are total archetypes of the "Italian immigrant." The women are spirited, wear lots of makeup and even more perfume and the men wear shirts with a completely inappropriate buttoned-to-unbuttoned ratio. Lots of gold chain jewelry. Lots of hair gel. Lots of hand gestures. We love it.
In the corner of the dive, there’s a TV that you cannot help but watch while you’re waiting for your pizza to be made. On last night was Seventh Heaven. Is this a show people really watch? Like sit down and watch it from beginning to end? I had never really seen it, I always avoided it for some reason and now I know why. Total sap fest. The dialogue was hilariously awful. The acting was so atrosous, if I had to see one more exaggerated eye roll or extreme grimace, I thought I was going to poke my eye out with a canoli.
I mean, I respect what the TV show is trying to do – provide a show for families that has clean language, no violence, and claims to have values (just because the Dad on the show is a minister I guess, and that the older sister turned down a co-worker when asked to “kick back with a cold one” in last night’s episode.) But by the time we got our pizza, I had filled my cheese quota and didn’t have much of an appetite. Since when did “wholesome” have to be this cheesy with cheese on top of extra cheese? Why does a clean TV show that families can watch together have to be this ridiculously bad? But mostly, why hasn’t anyone put a stop to this? I just don’t understand.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a Tivo date with Jack Bauer.
6 comments:
I agree...it's one of the worst shows of all time. I knew this ahead of time because my parents liked it. Along with the other shows they used to tape/and now DVR which include: JAG, Three Wishes, Buffy (not the good ones, the crappy ones) the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Ugly Betty. Yes, I think Ugly Betty is lame. (And I'm sorry to offend anyone...this is just my opinion which I'm too lazy to blog on my own blog. Thank Annie!)
TV is a waste of time!!! WASTE. TV is a sin.
For some reason when your mom first told me about Gilmore Girls I thought she was comparing it to 7th Heaven (I think because they were both on the WB or I just thought 7th Heaven was on the WB, and her saying something about it being a family show--I don't know, my brain was on bedrest too that summer), but anyway, I was really worried it would be lame and it took me almost a week to pop in the first DVD. Of course, we know the rest is history and I now have my own Gilmore Girls DVD's loaned out to half the girls in my ward. I should never have doubted. My apologies to you and your mom for such a grievous error in your TV judgement!
Couldn't agree more. I know you (and the whole Gar-fam) will be mad at me for saying this, but I feel the same way about Gilmore Girls. Cheesy!
Does a so-called "Family Friendly" show HAVE to be staffed by bad acting?
Ok, GG might not have the best acting at times but the show's dialogue is smart and witty and the characters are endearing and stick with you. You obviously haven't watched it enough, my friend. Because you'd LOVE it.
a co-worker in baltimore repeatedly told me that i would LOVE 7th Heaven because i was so religious. i myself refuse to watch anything on the WB (or CW). gilmore girls included. i watched an episode once and was so annoyed by the way they talked. however, i'm easily addicted to soapsy stuff so i'm sure if i ever have to go on bedrest or something i'll be calling the garlocks and audra and begging their dvds off of them.
Post a Comment