Thursday, June 12, 2008

Perhaps the Key to a Healthy Self Esteem


Ruby got a bike for her birthday. Naturally, she received a helmet and knee pads too. After excitedly opening them up, she placed the helmet on her head and ran to the mirror to see herself. After several seconds of silence, I heard a burst of laughter come from the bathroom.

Me: What is it?
Ruby: I look so silly!
Me: It's ok to look silly sometimes.
Ruby: I know. I don't really care if people think I look silly. I just thought I looked silly and that's ok. I just don't want to care about what people think I look like.

There have been very few moments when I actually think I'm doing my children some good by being their mother. This was one of those times. And I broke down right then and there with tears of pride rolling down my cheeks.

This attitude I have successfully passed down to Ruby must be rubbing off on May as well--yesterday she wore nothing but her underwear and Ruby's new knee pads for a full three hours.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love it! You HAVE done a fabulous job!

Katie said...

That really does say something about your mothering. Good job! What a great girl.

Audra Bollard said...

Print this out and read it to her over and over again when she turns 13!

Mandy said...

Rubs, you are the best! You go girl!

Anonymous said...

Ain't nothin' silly about a helmet!
I give prevention 2 thumbs up.
She is so darling and so is your bee swatting picture (on next post - I'm a little behind in my blog reading).

Anonymous said...

Do over. The bee swatting picture was on the previous post - catching up with 4 or 5 posts up me mixes.