This is where everyone except me would buy their scrapbooking stuff. My friends in Iowa were very scrapbooky and they made the most beautiful things with the products they bought here. I bet some of them went to this huge closeout sale.

That red brick building in the back is where Go would go with his study buddies to "study," which come to find out, really meant eat lots and lots of chicken wings.
My Mom bought me a big glazed ochre planter from this garden shop when she helped us move into our little condo there six years ago. It was such a cute little shop.
Though it wasn't my favorite place (only because of my low and wimpy tolerance for their horrible, awful winters) I hold a place in my heart for Iowa. It is where both of my babies were born and where Go labored and learned. I only know a hand full of people that are still there, since the majority of our friends were generally made up of transient medical, dental and law students but I hope my pals still there are ok. The few I have heard from are fine but many have had to leave. I hope they have dry homes and a strong community when they get back. If how I perceived the folks of Iowa to be is correct, they will get through this--they are strong, kind and hard working and I hope it doesn't take long for them to rebuild their cities. I saddens me to see such awful images and I'm so grateful that my friends are safe.
6 comments:
My mom just told me about the flood. Your post brings it closer to home. Thank you.
Oh my gosh that is nuts. I find it hard to believe what I'm seeing, it just doesn't seem possible. I was picturing maybe a foot of water. I agree, that people will pull through. Those Iowans are salt of the earth.
Oh, and Rob takes issue with the lack of studying that occured at the Vine.
I've been pouring through pictures, too, since I grew up there. I keep forgetting that you were there, too! It's really, really sad. I remember sandbagging every night and how much was destroyed during the flood in 1993 and this one is even worse. I hope all your friends are ok, everyone I've heard from is fine.
Jeff's sister lives in Iowa, with her husband, and their house totally flooded. In fact Jeff was just there last week gutting their basement down to the studs. Now, they say, when it floods again at least there's nothing left to ruin.
luvs, aby
I was actually wondering if this was in the area you had lived. It's really too bad-they are comparing it to Katrina!! I'm glad to hear that most of your friends are doing fine....
Awwwwww... You're so sweet. It's going to be ok, but am so thankful that we (and so far all of my friends but 1) are ok. I think the hardest part is all of the really nice stuff that has happened to both Iowa City and Cedar Rapids since you've moved is completely destoyed....like the new art building, the Strip and parts of CR like the library, Czech village and where Aaron and I got married. Too many memories and it's going to take soooo long for it to come back.
Post a Comment