Wednesday, January 30, 2008

This Is Why I Don't Sleep


A lady planted a little seed in my brain last week and now I have a 6-inch bean sprout poking out of my ear. We were spraying down our spin bikes and chatting. She asked what I did besides teach spin, I told her I was an artist and she perked right up. "I'm an artist, too! I have a bookbinding studio."

I practically dropped my spray bottle. Bookbinding was my number one complete unrequited love back in college. It is in fact tied with Ossie Antonetti, the dreamy afroed volleyball player from Puerto Rico, who's life sized cardboard image graced my apartment wall until I moved out, got married and was told that, "No, he cannot be stapled gunned to our ceiling."

Bookbinding was the one class that I always wanted to take but never could get into. Sometimes, I'd go into the room where the class was held and breathe in the glue, the paper, the bone folders. And then I'd walk around and leer at the cool books being made, with all of the special papers and the special fibers and the special techniques and the special...specialnesses. Sigh.

So then this woman either handed me a wad of cash or said this, I don't remember which because I would be equally excited by either one: "Come to my studio. I'll teach you everything you need to know."

Uh oh.

11 comments:

elizabeth said...

Wow. That is not fate. That is DESTINY!

Unknown said...

Careful it is more addicting, possibly more expensive than scrapbooking

JoAnna said...

Okay, you are HILARIOUS! My friend told me about you. She checks out your blog from Brooke Oldroyd's blog and so I had to check it out. Well, it turns out that I know two people that you know. First of all, Cheryl Alsop! How do you know her?? Our hubby's were in Med school together. Second of all, Mike Dehner. I served my mish with him. CRAZY!! Six degrees of separation. Gotta love it. Anyway, had to drop a line b/c of the double coincidence.
Oh! And I love me my BrookeO!

Anonymous said...

OOh that is so exciting =0).

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

WOW!!! What an exciting opportunity!!!

gojensens said...

How exciting, but go to sleep!

[RochelleG] said...

Wow, what a unique opportunity. You'll have to keep us updated on everything you learn!

[BrookeO] said...

Small world, I love Jo---seriously one of the coolest people I have ever met, she's got it all together (and she knows everyone!!)

A few of my friends do this too and I just watch in awe...good for you, no doubt you will rock!

bethany said...

That's awesome Annie-it's always fun to learn to do something new. Good luck!!

Kristen said...

awesome - I agree with the Elizabeth - DESTINY!

Graham Fam said...

You found another happy place! You are too creative for words. Can't wait to see what your next project will be.