Friday, July 11, 2008

The Big 2-8 ?

First of all, thank you to all my bloggy buddies for sending me sweet birthday wishes. It made me feel really special. Yes, and the other kind of "special", too. I did ride the short bus to school back in the day. I really did, which is why I'm allowed to occasionally pop out a short bus joke.

So I feel like I turned 30 today. Not because I feel 2 years older than I really am, but because everyone (myself included!) made such a fuss this year. But I am ok with this and here's why: Two years ago on my birthday, about a week after we moved to PA, Go had just started his intern year working 110+ hours a week and so he was like suddenly and totally absent from our lives, we were renting this house out in Nowheresville while all of our stuff was in storage save for our mattresses, our computer and a Napolean Dynamite DVD, I didn't have any friends yet, we were unsure of our financial situation as we had yet to make our first paycheck, we had just purchased our house, Ruby was freshly diagnosed and hello, we had just moved across the country. Anyway, my birthday got completely overlooked which was fine under the circumstances. Two years later, it's a complete 360 and it sure made up for it. And I do have to say, it was really nice, though I felt ultra silly being showered with so much attention.

My day of birth was really good:

Reason #1
6:30 am. I wake up to find Go coming in from a night of work. Through one partially opened crusty eyelid, I see he's taking off his scrubs. I expect him to climb into bed and go to sleep, when I hear his belt buckle jingle, which is a belt he's had since he was 14 and has worn every single day of his life since. This belt is in a great state of decay. Some of the horrific things I see while watching reruns of CSI remind me of it, in fact.

Me: Are you putting on pants?
Go: Yup.
Me: Does this mean you're going to go stand in line at AT&T for me right now?
Go: Happy birthday. Go back to sleep.
Me: Zzzzzzz...

Reason #2
After driving home from the AT&T store separately, Go has to turn around to return my phone (they gave me the wrong one) and he is given the last (correct) one in the store! All the while, I am sitting at home with my imagination running wild with all kinds of visions of him getting mugged in the parking lot of our ghetto-fabulous mall by some burly thugs. Not only is he crumpled up against his little red Subaru with a bloody nose but our iPhones are gone. I know! The horror! But he comes home alive and in one piece, with iPhones in hand. I really shouldn't have worried in the first place. Nevermind his big muscles, he watches a lot of UFC and has learned how to brawl by osmosis.

Reason #3
We have our iPhones in our hot little hands and they are perfection. And thus ends my blogging about the iPhone forevermore. I know. You're going to miss it. Sniff.

Reason #4
Free Food No. 1: Chik-Fil-A. Here are the cow costumes/my mask. May keeps saying "Mama, I's a Moo!" We met Mandy, my luxury cupcake maker there, along with another buddy, Jen P. The kids were darling; I was so mad I forgot my camera. But Go was kind enough to get take a picture before we left.

Reason #5
Free Food No. 2: Slurpees. I have no documentation of this event but I do ask the 7-11 guy if I can get a bigger sized slurpee for free because it is my birthday. He is not amused. I press harder, saying that I can prove it with my driver's license. He couldn't care less. Hmph. I guess the 7.11 oz cups are better for me anyway.

Reason #6
I play a little of my early birthday surprise.


Reason #6
A birthday get-together with friends at a park while a cheesy jazzy cover band plays. Awesome. We eat pizza, cupcakes, chocolate covered frozen bananas, cookies, grapes, cherries, drinks and delicioso black-bottomed-cupcakes. It is a good time with some great friends.

This was the only good shot I got before my battery zonked. By the looks of this picture, you would think that this is the first cupcake my daughter has ever eaten.


Thank goodness to Camie, the organizer of this silly shindig and my great, great friend who is unfortunately not pictured, for taking all these pictures after I was left cameraless. AND made sure, while ignoring my large amounts of eyerolling, that there were exactly 28 candles. Because she is wonderful and silly like that.

You wouldn't know it by looking at her, but Bryn's got a baby boy in that tummy. A baby BOY! If I could look anywhere near this good when I'm pregnant, I'd be pregnant every day of my life.

This was taken during a rare moment where May was not on Chrissy's lap begging for fruit snacks. WHICH CHRISSY ALWAYS GIVES HER. Because she is a lover like that and I think May likes her better than me. Which I totally understand why.

Jen P. was not documented but I was so glad she was there! If she would have been pictured, it would have entailed a stylish, sexy mama with big blue eyes and a mischevious smile. She's up to no good, that one.

Would you have a hard time living next to Tamara; the epitomy of natural beauty? Would it make you a little self conscious? It would. It does. She's also, like, super super nice. I hate it when that happens.

This is Heather kind of hidden on the left, who is no doubt telling an incredibly funny story, causing someone to spurt rootbeer out of their nose. She has that ability and does it with ease. On our right is Cheryl, who is deep in thought, probably wondering how it's possible to be as awesome as she is, even though she really has no idea how awesome she really is because she's the opposite of stuck up. Thus the deep thought.
Can you believe that Jenn just had a baby mere months ago? She looked like this walking out of the hospital. And we all hate her for it. I can say that because she refuses to read blogs. Instead she reads things that greatly improve her mind, because she's a smarty like that. And a smarty-pants to boot.

I forget who this girl was and why she was there but someone needs to tell her that she should at least brush her hair before going out in public. And also that sitting Criss-Cross-Applesauce (the politically correct way of saying "Indian Style") is so not a good look for her. But I took pity and cropped that part out. She can thank me later.

16 comments:

[BrookeO] said...

Oh Happy Birthday!

Wendy said...

What a fabulous party, with awesome friends, with rad gifts, celebrating an amazing girl. Happy Birthday Annie!

Jessie Riley said...

OK. I'm JUST now getting to my computer to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

You are GREAT and I LOVE YOU so much. Happy Happy Birthday Annie!!!

Jennifer said...

Merry Freakin' Birthday! Kalai climbed up on my lap as I was reading this and said, "I wanna see Batman." I scrolled back up and he said, "Batman!" and pointed to you 3 dressed up as cows. Anyway, you are one spoiled lady. I'm so glad you had such a happy birthday!

MOMMACITA said...

I had a special birthday dinner with yomama and tgar tonight.

nee ner nee ner nee ner

Happy Birthday. AGAIN.

ps. Your friends: SO CUTE and I think they are in love with you. You are a lucky lucky birthday gal.

MOMMACITA said...

lucky except for the part that I'm the one that had dinner with yomama and tgar.

MOMMACITA said...

I'm pretty happy about that birthday dinner.

MOMMACITA said...

I'm giving you lots of comments for your birthday.

MOMMACITA said...

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Another comment for the big 28

MOMMACITA said...

Are you too busy rocking out to read your comments?

Unknown said...

I know this is late, but happy birthday! I must say I LOVE Ruby's picture for you! :) Too funny!!

Aby Runyan said...

I wanted to be the VERY last one to wish you happy birthday. Therefore cementing my place in history as being - "the last person to wish the famous blogger Annie Reynolds Happy Birthday when she turned 28."
Let's hope I succeed.

Glad your day was great!
luvs, aby

PS - Don't be embarassed about the Wii Rock Band (wait, is that how you spell Wii??). My Mom, Spencer, and Josh would play it constantly. Picture THAT if you dare.

PPS - 28. That makes me sick.

Kasey said...

Happy birthday! Glad it was a good day filled with iphones and friedns. Only the important things in life for G-Locks!

Betsy said...

Happy Birthday Annie! I'm glad you guys had a blast, and I love the cow costumes. Happy birthday to the funnest, coolest, and most talented girl with the best style around =0). Here's to you! {a little late =0)}

The Thompsons said...

I'm really glad you had a great birthday and that you got your fabulous new phone which my husband now envys! Oh, and thanks for making me feel so good...sitting here in my pjs I was feeling very prego!

BR said...

Pardon the ignoramus: didn't having your iPhone (with integrated camera) solve the no camera battery problem? Betsy says no. Could you clear up this debate by an iPhone shot of Go modeling his belt?