Saturday, July 26, 2008

Things I am Reminded Of That I Forget, then Remember Every Time I Come Home

-The majority of people in southern California are good looking. I cannot say the same about Pennsylvania. I am reminded of how "fat" I am whenever I step through the gate at John Wayne Airport. In PA, I am a waif. Score one for Pennsylvania.

-There are a hefty amount of Mormons in CA. This was made plain by the handful I saw just while waiting at the luggage turnstile. "But Annie, how can you tell someone is Mormon just by looking at them?" my non-LDS readers may ask. Because the urge to be grinding their own wheat, scrapbooking, reorganizing their 72 hour kits and birthing babies instead of waiting for their luggage emanates from their eyes like laser beams.

-Water pressure is a good thing. The water pressure back at our house in PA could be likened to Chinese water torture. Obviously, I never feel like I quite get all the conditioner out of my hair no matter how long I stand under that drip...drip...drip. At my parent's house, I feel like I'm getting blasted with a fire hose, so I am reminded how my hair looks/feels when it's actually clean.

-I really, really enjoy my brothers. None of us are big phone talkers so when we're all together, I remember that I like them a lot and that they are the funniest people I know.

-Weather is such a non-issue in CA. Like it's not something people even pay attention to or consider when planning their life. My life and what I do in PA is so much dictated by the weather.
"Hey, you want to go to the pool later this week?"
"Yah, if it's nice."
This exchange would never take place in O.C. It's just implied that it will be nice. I like the comfort that goes along with things that are implied.

-How very ungirly I was growing up. I was reminded of this after I discovered I left my very girly Venus gel oozing, squishy grip razor at home so I was rummaging through an old toiletry bag of mine when I across one of my old razors, which was a men's BIC black and silver razor. This illustrates the leaps and bounds I have grown in my femininity. For the most part, I feel like I've been the exact same person my entire life, and I like that. I like me, which you've no doubt gathered by now. But I like that I've grown more girly, but I'm still the same old ungirly me at the same time. It's just like when I decide I'm going to work on an attribute, like being more nice. I'm still me, just a little nicer. So shut up.

3 comments:

Audra Bollard said...

I heard Christy got to see you before I did. And I saw your brother John yesterday. One of these days I'll get to see you--I'll give you a call on Monday.

Oh, and I'm taking #1 on your list as a compliment :)

Katie said...

you think John Wayne is bad, go to South Coast Plaza, as I am sure you will. I dress up more for a shopping trip there then I do for church.

Nat D said...

I think we're reminded that you are missing from Cali every time we see YOU! Hope you crash the pool tonight.