Thursday, July 03, 2008
Shmaprons
There's this girl I know who while growing up during meal times, her mother required her to wear an apron. This mother really didn't like removing stains and apparently, that girl was a pretty messy eater. I would venture to say that this girl, now an adult, is probably still a messy eater but that's just an educated guess. Anyway, this girl, we'll call her...Shmannie, even during her teenage years, had to wear an apron no matter who was over at the house. Friends. Missionaries. Out of town guests. Friend-Boys. Boyfriends. Potential but unrequited boyfriends most likely due to the messy eating/apron wearing. Shmannie's mother, who I'm just pulling a name out of a hat here--Shmaren, wears an apron almost all day long. Shmaren packs aprons with her when she goes on vacation. Shmaren brings aprons with her to functions where she might find herself helping out in the kitchen. Shmaren probably offers to help out in the kitchen just so that she can wear her apron. Shmaren is a big fan of aprons and has very stain-free clothes. For 18 years, Shmaren has tried to convert her daughter (and sons) to the way of the apron before leaving her nest, but her plight is unsucessful. Our Shmannie, while a college student living in...Shmrovo attending...BYShmoo and out on her own, even though Shmaren has stuck an apron in her suitcase for her to use, refuses to when she eats or when she cooks her Ramen noodles or makes her ham sandwiches. The feeling is liberating, I would imagine. Now when Shmannie goes back home to, let's call it, oh...Shmirvine for the holidays, she is horrified to learn that she must still wear an apron at dinner. It must be what a nudist feels like at a turtleneck convention. Why a nudist would attend a turtleneck convention, I haven't the foggiest but that's what Shmannie feels like. I'm just guessing here. So now several years down the road, with time being able to heal all wounds and our Shmannie grown up with children of her own, let's call them Shmuby and Shmay just for kicks, does she make them wear aprons? No. Will she ever make them wear aprons? No. Does Shmannie, who dutifully slaves over a bubbling and hot stove almost nightly just as her mother Shmaren did, wear an apron like she probably should? No. Does Shmannie, who still cannot eat something without dripping it on herself, wear an apron like she probably should? No. She refuses. Which is too bad because she is passing up oppurtunities to look cute in something like these or anything from her friend Alison's site. Has Shmannie forgiven her Mother even though she is scarred for life? Yes. Will Shmannie ever be able to forget, though? No.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
I've been your personal blog stalker. My sister, Veronica Reeve, introduced me to your blog....I too, like your friend, have a mother who loves aprons...I don't even put a bib on my baby... but I found a site with the dreamiest of aprons...I would be a convert to my moms apron church if I could wear this all the time... http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=vl_other_1&listing_id=10911715
Oh, Annie, how do these things happen to you?? After I read this post, I was thinking about your family and how they must read your blog just to see what will be anecdoted (which if this is not a word, I am creating it) about them today =0). Keep it up =0).
This is a secret about Shmannie that I can honestly say I never knew....and I know her well. Where did she hide these alleged aprons all those years of college? I swear I saw everything from her closet on the floor at one time or another and an apron was not a part of the pile. I'm baffled.
There are some cute aprons out there, but I completely understand Shmannie's refusal to wear one...kind of like my refusal to leave dirty water in the sink with a plug in it after I'm done with the dishes. But that's a different story.
Well thank you, you were very kind and I will be likewise kind and not mention certain apron antics with mirrors involved.
Good to know that you understand what a sacrafice it is for me to buy your darling daughters white t-shirts.
Just a thought, but aprons are really easy to sew, don't have fitting issues that other apparel require and fun to change up and embellish. They're alot like a dress so I think Shuby and Schmay would think they are ever so princesschmy.
Imagine how fast aprons designed by you for both old and young alike, would fly off out your door for a pretty penny, thus enabling you to afford new stainfree clothing daily. Sumthin to think about...
Mom: Aby wear an apron.
Aby: No.
Mom: Come on.
Aby: Nope.
Mom: Fine.
OR
Mom: Aby wear some lipstick.
Aby: No.
Mom: You NEED to wear some lipstick.
Aby: Nope.
Mom: Fine, but you REALLY need to wear some.
OR
Mom: Aby cut those cucumbers thinner.
Aby: I can't.
Mom: Why not?
Aby: I don't want to.
Mom: ARGGGGG!
See how much fun it was to grow up with me? But I'll say this, I've never worn an apron. Well maybe once.
I am sure that you may already know the above tactic, but I am perplexed as to why you never used it.
luvs, aby
That was hilarious, and even more funny is your mom's comment, trying to get your girls to wear aprons.
I love Anthropologies aprons though, I have a few and probably should wear them more often.
after my in-laws visited us on the east coast for a week the next time i saw them i received a hand-sewn apron.
Hmmmmmm. I am thinking that I'm glad that Schmeigh does not blog that often. Or Smake. Or Smitch. And I'm glad SchMavid took his off the internet. And it's a good thing Schim is in heaven. They have much larger baggage than aprons to haul around. I think aprons are cute, but I forget to wear them. I love the apron.
Do you think stain-removers sucked in the 80's? My Mom is big on aprons & bibs too. I got her the pretty one on the front page of your friend Alison's site awhile back.
Truly hilarious memoir. The disguised names made the whole story. I've never thought about wearing an apron to eat. That could seriously save me on the stain lifting! And, since I've no past scarring to inhibit apron-wearing, tell your mother that her wisdom reached farther than she could have ever hoped or dreamed. I'm going to try it!
I love aprons. I wish I had a multitude of darling aprons to choose from. In fact, I'd love to dress up in an overly feminine dress, wear heels with pointy toes and my hair off my shoulders while stirring something hot and delicious on the stove. I'd wear aprons more often if I didn't have a child stuck to my left hip. They're difficult to put on that way. Maybe I could wrap one around the two of us? Actually, I don't think there are two of us. We are one.
how did we never talk about this when we worked/lived by each other? i could have sworn this post was about me. however, i will guiltily admit that i still pull out the apron when cooking anything red/burninghotgreasesugar/super messy. so maybe she converted me... however i refuse to wear it when i got to mom's house. enough is enough!
"...she was standin' in the kitchen with nothin' but an apron on..."
I can't get that song out of my head now.
Thanks a lot!
Please tell your friend Shmannie thank you for giving me a good chuckle tonight.
Post a Comment