Sunday, February 24, 2008

Why My Head Hurts At the End of Each Day

Our friends the M's just got new carpet put in. This is something Ruby overheard my friend and I talking about weeks ago. Something extremely close to this conversation took place in the car on they way to their house yesterday:

Ruby: Are we going to the M's?
Me: Yep.
Ruby: Do they have their new carpet yet?
Me: Yah. How did you know?
R: I heard you talking about it.
Me: Wow, you have a good memory.
R: So what does it look like?
Me: Just like their old carpet.
R: Then why did they get new carpet?
Me: Because their basement flooded and they decided to recarpet everything.
R: So it's not the same carpet?
Me: Yah, it's the same.
R: It's all wet?
Me: No, it's dry. It's not the same carpet, it just looks the same.
R: But what if I don't like it?
Me: Why wouldn't you like it?
R: Because it's not the same carpet.
Me: But it is the same carpet.
R: You said it wasn't.
Me: No. I said it looked the same. You won't be able to tell the difference.
R: But why didn't they just keep their old carpet. I liked that carpet. I wish it was the same.
Me: It is the same. It will look the same.
R: But I said what if I don't like it?
Me: Ruby, you don't have to like it. You don't live there.
R: But I don't want to see it if I won't like it. Do you think I'll like it?
Me: Yes. I think you will.
R: But what if I don't?
Me: Ruby?
R: What?
Me: We're done now.
R: Ok. (and in the exact same breath:) Hey! Look at that tree! Those branches make a T! That tree is trying to spell a word. What's that tree trying to spell, Mom?

(Insert yet another frustrating conversation here.)

5 comments:

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

HEEEHEEEEE....I only laugh because my head hurts for that very reason!! What great conversation(s)!! Thanks for sharing!!

Taryn said...

Hilarious!

Anonymous said...

I bet it was trying to spell Tuby or Tay.

Jennifer said...

I feel your pain!

Camie said...

Did Ruby comment on my carpet on the way home by chance? Does she like it?