Insomnia has again reared its ugly head again and so at 4 in the morning, I found myself lugging baby items out of the garage, most of which had lots of fun surprises to go along with them, like cobwebs, dust, and grime--all of which I could handle, except for one: Ruby's and May's Graco car seat? A mouse had chewed through the plastic bag I put it in, crawled down to the bottom of the seat, chewed through that and even left me some poop to let me know for sure that yes, he had been there. Thanks, mouse. Now I can easily shake off the guilt I've been carrying around all this time for killing you in that trap last year.
Needless to say, I was creeped out and horrified at the thought of my baby sitting in a seat that once held mouse poo and had been gnawed through with mouse teeth. So, like any woman after promptly throwing it in the washing machine, my mind wandered to retail therapy and I hopped online to look at shiny, new Graco car seats. Ones that had not been touched my rodents and also, had not been through two kids already. Then reality reached through the computer screen and slapped me in the face. They're expensive. (This is where I wish I could insert an audio clip of a woman with a nasally, southern accent saying: "Too rich for my blood!")
So much for being done with sewing projects. So, um...yah...anyone know how to sew a car seat cover? booooo...
P.S.-I've never been one to long for a super glamorous lifestyle, but this is just ridiculous.
5 comments:
I don't mind snakes or spiders, but I CANNOT do mice. Ew is right!
That's fun--just when you think you're getting everything together and a mouse has to come along and ruin it....
For the car seat cover, I would just use the mouse eaten cover that you have as a pattern, turn it inside out and trace the seams (with seam allowance) on newspaper or something to make pattern pieces. I haven't really seen any good online tutorials unless you want to buy one.
Here's one from Etsy--http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_list_15&listing_id=16625654&ga_search_query=car+seat+cover+pattern&ga_search_type=tag_title
But you're a smart girl--I'm sure you could make one from the existing cover and save the $10.
Also, (this is becoming a novel) the warranty/liability of the car seat is null and void if you completely replace the cover, so you may want to put the new one over the existing one (did that make sense?).
Hey, Chick- If anyone can sew a carseat cover, it's you, babe. I totally want to see it when you're done! And as for digging in the trash for $80 bucks, I would do it for a buck or two...or maybe even two quarters. Yeah, I'm a cheapskate. And I'm married to Mr. Tightwad.
I believe my SIL got a car seat cover off of ebay. And if I recall right it wasn't too horrible of a price... I want to say around 30-40, and it was way cute too. So maybe you could check that out, if you haven't all ready.
yup...i know what you're talking about.
Post a Comment