The afternoon after May was born, I was alone in the hospital bed with her, waiting for Go to return with my Mom, Ruby (who I hadn't seen since we had dropped her off at the Jacksons before my induction) and a Reuben sandwich from the New Poineer Co-Op deli. The good memory could actually end right here. That's how good those sandwiches were--one of the VERY few things I actually miss about Iowa.
I was looking at May and pondering if we had given her the right name. Our "policy" really isn't to ever completely decide on a name before the baby is born; we usually have a main name in mind, a couple of back-up alternatives and then wait until we see her. We never call the in-utero-baby by any specific name until after she's actually born. So far, we have always ended up going with our main name idea. So I was sitting there, not really doubting our choice persay, just sort of looking at her and thinking about it.
The silence was broken as Go, my Mom and 2.5 year old Ruby entered the room. "Hey, Rubes," I said and reached out for her. As she came over, she sort of glanced over to May, who was sleeping beside me and casually but matter-of-factly said "Oh. It's May," just like "Oh, hey. What's up," like she had always known her. The fact that we never really called her "May" when she was still in the womb and Ruby's nonchalant attitude confirmed to me that we definitely went with the right name.
6 comments:
So when I glance at this new little sister baby and say casually "Oh, it's Caren Lee Olson Garlock Reynolds. Whassup Carey Barey Bug Bug?" Then you'll know you made the right decision. Cool.
I feel exactly the same way about naming a baby!! It drives me nuts when people, well, atleast call my fetus, by the name that we are thinking. That is why I am hesitant sometimes to tell people what we are planning on naming the baby.
I'm loving these good birth memories. That's so cute what Ruby did, "oh hey it's May," cracks me up. Can't wait to see what you name chicka #3!
Mommacita is a good name. If you talk it up, then someone might say it by mistake instead of Caren Lee Olson Garlock and then you'll have to go with it.
Here's my suggestion. Annalisa. Part Annie, part Alisa. Does it get any better than that???
So I've been trumped by the Reuben sandwich from New Pioneer CO-OP. I'll try to get over it =0). I can't wait to here the name! YEAH 2 WEEKS!
Post a Comment