Two examples:
Exhibit A:
Christmas Break during my sophomore year of college, on a trip to Mammoth with my family: it was a trip that was supposed to be the beginning of a beautiful friendship between me and snowboarding, but ended up with me on the couch of our rented condo for an entire week suffering with something akin to the Bubonic Plague. House would have snatched my case right up. I had about every symptom under the sun and what illness it was exactly, still remains a mystery. His white board would have been completely filled and he would have spent hours just sitting there looking at it and bouncing a rubber ball.
While everyone else in the family besides my Mom (who abhors being cold) was out skiing/snowboarding, I was watching a Behind the Music marathon on VH1, which had always been one of my favorite shows. On that trip, I watched every single episode. Every. Single. One. And who was there in the adjoining kitchen cooking and cleaning? My Mom. She learned everything she ever wanted to know about sex, drugs and rock and roll via the lives of the Spice Girls, the Mamas and the Papas, the Doors, Nirvana, Boy George and the Culture Club, Busta Rhymes, etc.Exhibit B:
What was on TV for the both of us to drown our "My Spouse is Crazy" sorrows in? An Ultimate Fighting Champion marathon. Hours and hours of gorilla-men beating each other into a bloody pulp inside the octagon ring. (In the words of Jo March played by Wionna Ryder in Little Women, "I rather crave violence.") And who was there in the adjoining kitchen cooking and cleaning? My mom. She learned everything she ever wanted to know which was never anything about mixed martial arts.Because this baby has been CRAZY WILD inside the womb (and my others were very calm inside and ended up being really happy babies), I am fearing the worst. Colic is the first thing that comes to mind--something I've always wondered if I could actually handle or not. I am fearing another rock-bottom week where I will turn to the television for solice. And my mom will be here, cooking and cleaning and being exposed to all kinds of seedy underbellies. Thanks to the technology of a DVR, I have been preparing for months. I have dozens and dozens of episodes of 48 Hours (everything she ever wanted to know about homicide investigations) and Intervention (everything she ever wanted to know about alcohol and drug addictions) ready to go if needs be.
Because, thanks to the healing powers of Behind the Music and UFC, I've learned it never hurts to watch stuff where people are way worse off then you are.
5 comments:
TV's way cheaper than therapy, right?
Oh man I've watched so many Behind the Musics . . . Lenny Kravitz's totally made me cry and Fleetwood Mac was fascinatingly incestuous. Good times.
I'm glad to see you have slightly better things planned than the WWF though.
Wow on two accounts. First, wow, it's a good thing you explained your opening line and second, wow, I'm so glad the TV is in the basement if that's all you're going to watch.
Taking comfort in the fact that since you'll be up all night with a colicky (sp?) baby, I'll have all day with the DVR to myself while rocking said colicky baby.
My babies were crazy psycho lunatics in my stomach - there were many times I was quite sure they would come bursting out of me much like the alien in the "Alien" movies.
That said, NONE of my babies were colicky and slept through the night nearly from the day they were born. Capri literally DID sleep through the night starting the day she was born.
luvs, aby
PS - as for nursing, oh I know you SOOOO want my two cents on this. I tell every mother who will listen, "It is far better for your baby to be well fed and for YOU the mother to not want to strangle them then to worry all the time about for how long or if at all you nurse them. Period."
I guess if your children become professional wrestlers (throwing chairs, the whole bit) when they grow up, we'll know why.
Believe me when I say, that my husband would also prove an effective and passionate spokesman for La Leche League.
PS Bless yomama =)
Post a Comment