Oh, hi there. I'm coming to you from our PC that I forgot about while our Maceewackeeshnoopywoopykins is still at the Apple doctors. I've got to blog quick before my throat starts to close up due to a Dell-induced anaphylactic shock. That or before I start saying "Hello, I'm a PC."
Something that has been on my mind lately:
I really don't like the words "preggers" or "preggo." The other night while trying to fall asleep I tried to decide which of the two words I disliked more. An answer never came, just heavy slumber accompanied by a dream that Go opened up his plastic surgery practice office where I had an art studio built onto it so that I could paint people and their new bodies post-op as part of a package deal. While I think I might be onto something big, BYU would be very disappointed in me. No flesh colored leotards in that dream. Anywho, I don't like using those two words. Too cutsie-wootsie. Nor do I like the term "expecting," like "I heard you were expecting," said by that polite friend who's known it for weeks now but has waited until she is absolutely positive that you've got a little person in there and not 18,000 grilled cheese sandwiches. It always makes me want to reply with a snarky "Expecting what?" Also, saying "expecting" seems so Victorian, like I need to reply with a hushed "Why yes, Prudence, I am indeed expecting but please do not breathe a word of it to Mister Reynolds. He'd fall right off of his steed whilst on his fox hunt, as I haven't yet gathered the courage to tell him. I'm waiting until the time is just right, which I think shall be tonight, right after I take off my wig and am brushing through my matted tendrils with my pewter comb. You know the one--with the mother of pearl inlays? Yes, that shall be the perfect moment. So if you would kindly keep this ghastly secret discreet, I would deeply appreciate it. Prudence dear, would you be so kind as to pass the grilled cheese sandwiches? Oh yes, do take another before you pass the platter this way. I quite agree with your sentiments towards these delightful sandwiches. I ought not have any more American cheese for as long as I live but I can't quite seem to consume enough! It must be because I'm...expecting? Tee-hee! Tee-hee!" On the flip side, saying "knocked up" is a little too irreverent, even for me. (Big strides being made here.) And just saying "I'm pregnant," sounds clinical and almost gross for some reason. I've decided that I really just like saying "Yes, I've got a baby in my tummy."
12 comments:
I also dislike the terms preggo and preggers. For my big day of announcement in the distant far future of maybe or possibly or someday, I plan on saying: "womb has been filled, no vacancy."
how about saying you've been bit by the trouser snake?
Anytime I can work "bun in the oven" into every day conversation, is a blessing.
Totally agree with you on the two words but am surprised that Maceewackeeshnoopywoopykins made the cut.
I really like May's terminology when explaining your condition:
"baby in her baaawwwdy" - all drawn out.
You're a goon! I don't mind preggers or prego (I spell it that way because sometimes I say ragu instead). And knocked up works for me too. You can tell how reverent I am. (Maybe that's why my kids act that way in sacrament meeting.) I've got a baby in my tummy seems kinda cheesy to me, unless you're saying it to someone under the age of 8, which is probably what you are talking about anyway. I'd say something like, "I got a kid in here," or, "Yes, again. And yes, I know how it happens." Maybe I just say that because I was pregnant for 5 years straight. Anyway, pregnant-shmegnant, it is what it is.
Annie.....I thought you might like to add Scott's Mission Blog to your family list. It is scottdehner.blogspot.com
Check it out. Actually, I'm keeping it for him so he has a record that he can view when he comes home next August.
Uncle Kurt
I love the "baby in the belly" answer. Perfect.
You could also just say, quite honestly, that you have a parasite... you know, a tiny little being snuggled into another being sucking the life out of its host in order to survive itself. Just a thought.
Oh I am so glad I didn't really have to wait 5-7 business days. The way your mind works is fantastic.
Dear Prudence,
Let me be the FIRST to apoligize for all of the times I "CUTELY" referred to myself as PREGGO! I now know that it was inappropriate! From now on I will say that I am KNOCKED UP. {I like the sound of it better anyway!}
:)
-Jessie
I was a little hesitant about the boob job , but now I'm totally sold. A lovely painting or sketch would make it totally worth it. It's going RIGHT above my sofa.
As far as the pregnancy terminology goes, I don't care what you call it if it gets me a closer parking spot.
I often like to tell people that I am growing a human! :) So I hope your semi-graphic dream had you guys planning on living and painting in Vegas. I do in fact still stalk your blog and do in fact plan on becoming a great great friend of yours. Just ask Paul...he said we would get along like peas and carrots.
You are such a crack up and I have no filled myself with an hour of reading your blog. I am so excited for you and baby. I can't believe all the things you have accomplished and done. I can't wait to see all final results of your nesting behavior. I saw that May got her tonsils out and yes, her tonsils were dang HUGE. Lorelei is getting her tonsils and adenoids out on Monday and I wanted any advice you could give me to prepare ourselves for the big adventure. Keep up the good work. You are so talented!
Post a Comment