Friday, November 07, 2008

Dear Chick Who Tries To Talk To Me At Gymnastics,

Even though I would have rather been listening to music, knitting and watching my kid, the first week of class this session, I gave you a chance. I didn't break out my iPod and left my needles in my bag. Instead, I tried to be friendly and sat there and talked with you for an hour about the nightmares of potty training even though this is a conversation I try to avoid having--I've had it way too many times and frankly, it bores me to tears. But the real kicker was when you started telling me what a "bad child" your youngest daughter is...while she was right next to you. No wonder she's so disobedient. She's being told she is, so of course she's going to continue that pattern of behavior. It also made me extremely uncomfortable when you spanked her in front of me. It was a mild swat, but a swat nonetheless and I just don't care to witness it, especially when she received the overly-severe punishment for something so trivial as untying your shoes while you weren't looking. I guess you were too engrossed in your monologue about how awful she acts and why can't she just poop in the toilet for you? And maybe, just maybe, I'm going to venture to say that you're not really reading that parenting book you're toting around with you. I'm starting to think it's just a prop, like that chick I'd see around campus my freshman year of college who used to carry around a skate board with her but never actually rode it. The thing's wheels were pristine. Anyway, I wonder if that "book" of yours says anything in there about going a full 5 seconds without hollaring "Don't do that or I'll (enter empty threat here)!" I'm not claiming to be a perfect parent but it was all too much. So this week, as I sat next to you with my ear buds in, my music blasting and with knitting needles clicking, I realize I came off rude. But I'm not going to apologize for it. You make me uncomfortable and talking to you about boring stuff and watching your poor parenting skills is not how I want to spend that hour. And I'm not even going to be mad at you for making me turn up my volume full blast and ruining what's left of my abused ear drums just so I wouldn't have to hear you tell your poor daughter what a bad girl she is for an entire hour.

Good luck to you and may I suggest perhaps a different parenting book,
Annie Reynolds

7 comments:

camie said...

At least she didn't ask the names of your children and proceed to ask who named your kids like Chuck did at gymnastics. I never spoke to him again.

LCFrohm said...

Do you have any suggestions of parenting books? Because I think you just described me to a T.
he he he! No...seriously.

Katie Waldron said...

I freaking love your blog. You are so real & hilarious & I just love you. Your girls are so beautiful & darling & congrats on the 3rd! LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU!!! Love, K Weaver

[AnnieR] said...

If you love me so much Katie W. W., send me a freaking invite to your blog! I have it on good authority that your baby is darling and I'd actually like to see the little guy. And you too, of course.

anniegarlockreynolds{at}gmail[dot]com

Aby Runyan said...

Ok - I am OH SO with you about the spanking. This drives me crazy! I'm glad it was "only a swat", but still - I've never quite understood how you expect to teach a child to be good and kind by punishing them with pain.
My sis in law always would call her daughter a monster right in front of her when she was littler - and still refers to her as such when she talks about the past. I never actually WITNESSED any monstrous behavior, seeing as she's my niece I'd figure I'd see it at least ONCE. But no.
luvs, aby

Aby Runyan said...

When I wrote "you" in the previous comment I didn't actually mean YOU, I mean the YOU out there - ya know, in the world.
This of course makes perfect sense, I know.
luvs, aby

elizabeth said...

Just give her a note next week with your blog address on it while you've got your ipod blasting. And bring her daughter a fun treat next week too. Poor thing!