Wednesday, November 05, 2008

My Kid's Tonsils Could Beat Up Your Kid's Tonsils

1. I often get words or phrases stuck in my head, like I hear them in my brain over and over again and just have the urge to say them over and over. Most of the time I supress it, but sometimes I give in but I usually stop myself after a couple of minutes because I start to realize I sound like Rain Man. The other day, the phrase was "tubal ligation." Before that, it was just "meow." Today's word: "Obama." But I have to say it like "Oooooo-BAMA!" It has nothing to do with how I feel politically or even the name of our new president--to me it's just a word that I can't stop thinking or saying. So much so, that I walked into my spin class today and yelled "Oooooo-BAMA!" and a bunch of people cheered, which really wasn't my point--I just had to say the word and get it out of my system so I could move on and teach my class. Oooooo-BAMA!

2. We had May's surgical consult for her tonsillectomy yesterday, which was with a surgeon Go had been working with last month. He took one look down May's throat and screamed in horror. After regaining his composure, he said "I don't know whether to call O.R. scheduling, 9-1-1 or Child Protective Services." He then proceeded to call people in to have them look at her tonsils, to which they all reacted basically the same way. After we left, he called Go and told him that May's tonsils were the biggest tonsils he had ever seen. And this guy has seen a lot of tonsils in his day--tens of thousands. Her surgery is next Tuesday. Though it's scary, I am looking forward to the possibility of her and I having some uninterrupted nights of sleep in the future (well, before March, anyway). Because her tonsils are such beasts, she has major sleep apnea. To give you an idea of how big her tonsils are, I tried to find an image online of big tonsils but May's bigger than all of them - the not only touch, but they rub together. The doctor wondered how it was that she could even breathe. He also said that he'd have to scrounge up a tractor trailer to haul her tonsils away after they were removed. Are you getting the picture? May's tonsils are huge.

3. I received a little gift in the mail from my Mama - our new baby's first outfit that's all her own. This may be the only UN-hand me down she will ever wear. So cute! And take out the blue and these are the colors of the baby's nursery after I get some time to work on it. (post to come!)


4. This picture below is two-fold.

1) A belly update for anyone who cares.
2) The scarf I finished for Ruby a couple of weeks ago. I got the knitting bug several years ago but it was a short lived phase. Around Conference time this year, I picked it back up because I wanted something to do and a nice girl in our ward had an instruction night so I got a little refresher. Anyway, I did a double seed knitting pattern for most of it, with ribbing on the ends. It was fun and my first try at something other than just knit, pearl, knit, pearl. It's just nice to have something to keep my hands busy when I'm at the doctor's office or watching the girls to gymnastics, etc. Yes, I totally knit in public. If I could get away with knitting at church, I would. May's is almost done and then it's on to one of my very own. I'm thinking cream colored because I use to have a very soft, very nice, cream colored scarf before and I loved it and I felt very grown up, which is rare for me, whenever I wore it. And then I wore it all around San Fransisco on our trip and something rusty dripped on it so I think I might just make one to replace it.
5. I'm very aware that this post was snooze-ville and I sincerly apologize. If you're actually still reading this very boring post, I just have one thing to say: Oooooo-BAMA!

12 comments:

Mandy said...

I have to say that I'm happy May is getting the help she needs but I'm really sad for some reason, too...there's something absolutely endearing about seeing her cute little face then hearing her hustle you with the Godfather voice. I love it and will miss it!

[AnnieR] said...

I agree! I keep telling Brandon how much I'll miss her weird little voice because it will definitely be different post surgery. "hustle me with her Godfather voice"--perfect description of May. So perfect.

leigh said...

I think May's tonsils are visable in the "Finding their inner berry" picture.

MOMMACITA said...

I know a lady who knits in church. She totally wears pants too.


OOOOO-Bama.

camie said...

The outfit is worthy of drool. Mine not the baby's. Her room is the 1st thing I thought of when I saw it!!!!

Kristen said...

Cute bump! If you need any pointers about her surgery let me know. If you want a refresher just check the blog for last january. It was so great when he was healed, he could speak so much more clearly and I didn't anticipate the amount our grocery bill increased. Holy cow. His also rubbed together and scared everyone in the vicinity. Is she also getting her adenoids out too?

[AnnieR] said...

I remember when Rhys got his out. I remember those posts, too - so sad, the poor little guy.

And yes, she is getting her adenoids out, too.

Aby Runyan said...

This was pretty much the doctors reaction when he took out Capri's tonsils and adenoids. He could see that her tonsils were big, but obviously he didn't know how big her adenoids were till he got in there. He came out of the operating room with a grim look on his face - NOT good to do to parents. Anyway, he was AMAZED that Capri could breathe at all through her nose cause how big they were.
You are going to LOVE the results of this surgery, they are cured instantly! Course they have to heal, but it is SO fast. Capri was eating McDonald's french fries on the way home from the hospital!
luvs, aby

PS - Capri's voice really didn't change at all. Maybe you'll get lucky and May's won't change either!

Sotutus said...

I'm so glad someone else does that weird-word-in-their-head thing. I thought I was the only looney toon out there. Recently my words have been "pulmonary embolism" or some weird word I just made up - they don't even have to be English. (Like I speak another language...yeah right!) But today, thanks to you my dear Annie, my word is now "tubal ligation" - like I even know what the crap it is!!

Beth said...

I look forward to hearing how May does with her surgery. Kelsey needs her tonsils out as well, but I am scared for the recovery process. I have been scarred by my own experience when I was little.

Leilana Warren said...

Hey! I have some cute clothes Ellery either barely wore or never wore that I would love to send you, if you are interested. E-mail me your address. I would love to share. leilana.warren@gmail.com

Shannon said...

I just found your blog (which is wonderful, btw) from another friend, and it just so happens your bro, John, was my HTer in college for awhile (he rocks! Oh, and the spoiler on his tercel came off my sister's old civic!). ANYWAY... my mother-in-law knits at Church ALL THE TIME so I think maybe you COULD get away with it! :)