As I was sitting with my new little Primary class this Sunday (five sweet and funny seven-year-old boys who I already adore) in Sharing Time, talking about Memorial Day and learning facts about America, a child behind me was talking about their Grandpa being in "the war," and my mind wandered to my own Grandpa, even though he was never in a war. Then, it was weird because when I got home from church, I saw that my brother had posted a line from Ray Steven's The Streak on my Facebook wall, around the same time I would have been sitting in Sharing Time thinking about my Grandpa. The Streak (among other Ray Stevens' songs) was something my Grandpa introduced me and my brothers to when we were little, a song we found deliciously irreverent and scandalous. One of the things I thought about as I sat there on Sunday was that it was my Grandpa who gave me my first cassette tape. It was when I was 3 or 4 years old--Waylon Jennings' Greatest Hits, which included some songs with Willie Nelson as well. I would lie on my parents' water-bed and listen to my tape on their silver tape deck/alarm clock/radio. Perhaps this was the seed which planted my intense love for music. My favorite song was Ramblin' Man; I remember trying to sing it with so much soul and gusto, it hurt my throat.
I am so playing this in my spin class on Wednesday. That driving beat is just asking to be climbed to. And then with the crescendo, we're going to surge. We're going to sweat to Waylon Jennings and it's going to be awesome. I might get some raised eyebrows at first but they're going to love it by the end. I so enjoy finding an unexpected but fantastic spin song.
I love my Grandpa, for who he is and for sharing so many great things with me.
And this is one of them. Happy Memorial Day.
And here's The Streak. This one goes out to him, along with the Garlock Boys.
1 comment:
I'd much rather climb to The Streak. Think about it!
I dare you.
Post a Comment