Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Next

I have a few projects to finish up (some Family Tree illustrations, some Etsy orders, the book the girls and I started from last summer, my art room which looks like it was burglarized) but after that, this:

A Euro pillow made from this top I embroidered like a year ago of the alphabet. Embroidering, how I love you. Dramatic sigh.


It will be backed and trimmed with piping made on the bias (is there any other way of making piping other than the bias? I do not know. But I felt it needed to be said. These stripes will be slanted, ya'll!) out of this ticking stripe.


I was too lazy to get out my camera, upload the photos blahblahblah just for this measly post so as you can probably tell, all of these pics were taken with Photobooth.

So we had ourselves a little session.





7 comments:

camie said...

That quilt would look great in a little boy's room. A little boy named Grant.

yomama said...

Sorta said this in an email, but for the sake of promoting sewing, it being the bomb and all, I'll say it here in blogging world: Because the non bias binding is so much easier and uses less fabric and is not required from a functioning standpoint unless you are binding curves, you could make a non bias binding and in my opinion it would look totally cute and perhaps even better than diagonal in this case (though I usually pretty much love all things diagonal).
You just cut your strips right off the end of the fabric so you'll visually have little short stripes going horizontially on the sides of the pillow and vertically on the top and bottom.
Just grab some of the fabric and roll it over and hold it up to the stitchery both in a diagonal fashion and in a straight If you like the diagonal better measure that amount of better against hassle factor of making diagonal. HOWEVER, remember the amount of time and effort and love you put into the stitchery - you don't want to rob it of what would be the best for it.
This could explain my social life. Inanimate objects take on human qualities and fulfill any social needs.

MOMMACITA said...

Do I really HAVE to put in my two cents on bias binding? Why yes, yes I do. Because I don't know why.
And it sort of bugs but oh well.

It is my understanding that bias binding all though not needed unless curves are involved, is theoretically stronger, because you have diagonal threads going over the edge of something, and the edge of something takes the most beating. If you are just doing a wall hanging it wouldn't matter, or framing, no matter, however a lifetime of laundering, say, like a quilt, the diagonal threads will protect against fraying along the edge. Especially with double sided binding, as is usually found in a quilt. Think of the weave of the fabric...with a bias binding you wouldn't have a single warp thread going the length of the binding so if it breaks then the binding is weakened.

What would you do if I didn't stick my nose into your breast feeding and binding projects?

MOMMACITA said...

And yes, you DO look skinny.

Brandon Bridge said...

Ok, Miss Skinny Pants. I LOVE your embroidered alphabet...and even though I see on the health blog you didn't get where you wanted this week...WOW you look great and are keeping me so motivated. I need to check this Kristy thing out, can you do it while you're breast feeding?

[AnnieR] said...

Kassidi,
I'm almost positive you can. You're getting a balance of proteins and carbs, (so it's not like Atkins, etc.) eating tons of fruits and vegetables and whole grains, so I would imagine you totally can. You might need to just a hand full of calories (I eat about 1500 a day...aren't you supposed to eat like 1800 when you're nursing? I forget. Kristi would know.) Kristi, of Kristi Approved is a registered nurse and a dietician. When you sign up, you have full access to her, so you could totally call or email her and ask what you would need to add, if anything. One of the best success stories I have seen/read on their site was a lady who started when she was nursing.

Brandon Bridge said...

Sweet, thanks a ton! I'm getting so excited about this.