Friday, July 03, 2009

Southern Indian Curry

I am nearing the end of getting rid of the stacks magazines I have collected over the past 10 years, the piles that adorn our home otherwise known as Mount Real Simple, The National Geographic Range, The Communication Arts Alps and The New Yorker Peak. There's some hills in there too--Paste Hill, Bon Apetit Hill, Martha Stewart Kids Hill, Popular Science Hill and a burm of hair magazines I turn to when I feel the need to change my look. But really, HairStyle Burm is doing me a great disservice by even existing since those mags are years and years old. Yes, I'd like The Rachel, please? No, thank you. I am a Hoarder by nature but over the past 10 years, have slowly transferred over to the ways of Purgers. For my last hurdle to completely knight myself Lady Purgerific, I have been climbing my Everest: Mount Real Simple. I'm almost at its peak and have been going through them all one last time and ripping out stuff I want before tearfully parting ways with them at the recycling bin. Most of the stuff I rip out are recipes. I tried one last night and it was delicious and super quick and easy. When I make it again, I'll change some things. Here it is:

Southern Indian Chicken Curry

4 tablespoons corn oil (I used canola)
2 medium red onions, thinly sliced (I will use just one next time)
2 small jalapenos, halved lengthwise and seeded (You don't end up eating these, it's just to give it some spice when it's simmered together)
2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I used 3 and always will. Your welcome, lady standing way too close to me at the Target check-out line)
1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced (I didn't slice it thin enough. Next time I will slice it as thin as possible so when you get a piece of it, you're not like "WHOA! HELLOOOO, GINGER!", you're more like "Oh. Hey ginger. Almost didn't see you there."
4 to 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
1 3/4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon each of cayenne pepper, ground coriander and cumin
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 ripe yellow peaches, roughly chopped (I would use at least 3 peaches next time and chop them a little bit bigger than I did, like the same size or a little smaller than the chicken chunks)
1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup plain yogurt (optional) (I just put a spoonful on the girl's plate for them to dip their chicken into and it relieved some of the heat for them, so we used more than 1/4 cup, I'd say)
Indian flat bread or pitas (optional) (Since I am watching my carbs and trying to lose this blasted baby weight, I didn't have either BUT if I had my way, I would have made my very scrumptious recipe for naan, which you can find here.)

Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the onions in skillet and cook for 5 minutes. Add the jalapenos, garlic, ginger, and 4 tablespoons f the lemon juice and cook for 5 minutes more. Transfer the mixture to a plate. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to skillet and raise heat to medium-high. Add the chicken and stir-fry until golden, about 8 minutes. Add the cayenne, coriander, cumin, mustard seeds, and salt and stir-fry for 2 minutes more. Add the peaches, onion mixture, and 1/2 cup of water and simmer for 8 minutes. Stir in coconut milk, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer gently for 2 minutes. Taste and add the remaining lemon juice, if necessary. Serve with the yogurt, flat bread, or both if desired.

7 comments:

Amber said...

Sounds yummy, but what are the instructions? I think I'll have to add this to my upcoming menu. I love Indian food!

yomama said...

I'm right there with Amber - what is the process and no Curry in a curry recipe? Your Fijian kin will raise an eyebrow.
But of course more important issues - can't wait for my Olive fix and can't imagine any more adorable shots than last week's.

[AnnieR] said...

Woops. Adding now.

And the cayenne, coriander and cumin are the curry.

Pics of Olive to come, Mom. Don't worry.

yomama said...

Whew.

MOMMACITA said...

That's a spicer meata balla.

PS Love my weekly Olive fix. And I thought you were going to O Hi O

[AnnieR] said...

We are! We will leave later today!

camie said...

That sounds GOOD!