Wednesday, July 08, 2009

July 3, 4 and 5

We went the distance this past weekend to Columbus, Ohio, to attend a "Regional" Garlock Family Reunion, something upon first hearing about, I was not a fan of. Why? Because I felt jipped, that's why. This summer's Garlock Family Reunion was going to be close enough for me to drive to! Since the Garlock family hails from Oregon, the majority of us still live out west. But this year's was to be in Ohio. So when I got word it had been cancelled, I threw a hissy via text message. "What the heck!" and "This is SO LAME!" are some examples of texts I grumpily fired off to my Dad, which ended with a snarly "RETARDED!" A couple weeks later, I got an email about "regional" family reunions. The East Coast Garlocks would gather for the Fourth of July. I couldn't see myself driving solo 6+ hours with 2 wild things and a nursing baby for just a day or two, so I wasn't going to go, even furthering the bitterness. But Go found out last minute he had off the 4th so Friday evening after work, we hopped in the car, drove and drove and drove, rolled into Columbus at midnight, played all day and night, woke up the next morning, played a little and got back in the car and drove and drove and drove back home. I'm SO glad we did it. Totally worth all the driving; we had so much fun. I love being with family. After living away from family for so long, I crave the comfort that comes along with genetic similarities and unspoken concepts that are just understood. It's just...comfortable.

This is my Grandma holding Olive, who looks disgruntled but really wasn't. It was just bright outside. Apparently, Olive looks exactly like my Dad as a baby. She and my aunt kept calling her "Little Tom." Ever since then, all I can see is my Dad when I look at her. Eek!
Olive loved her right up and fell fast asleep in her arms. Oh, how I love this funny, funny woman.

Amber, I totally stole this one from you. This is the REAL "Little Tom." Mike, I kept from saying anything the entire weekend but you totally reminded me of my Dad whole time. It was freaky. So this is my cousin Mike with his cute new baby Will.
Little Tyler visiting with Rylee. And there's Amber and Chad who both were very smart people and married my cousins.
I don't know if you can see it, but this Go, Matt and Mike leaving to go cliff jumping. Mandy, you always said I was the duct tape that held the world together. I think you should reconsider your husband, as he knows all three of these guys completely independently. We joked that if the conversation ever lulled, we could just be like "So...how 'bout that Dan Heaston?" Shown here is also my cousin Marc's wife Kenna and my auntie Shawn, who hosted the party. She is also the owner of Crew Neck Quilts!
Cute little Mary, who came from Cincinnati. Her Daddy, my cousin Marc just finished up his surgical training and is now a practicing "shoulder guy." This depresses me because I remember when he started med school. And I was a child. My cousin Beth's husband Doug, handing out the poppers or whatever they're called. I'm really clueless on all things firework related. But the kids loved them and miraculously no one got seriously injured.
This is Henry, my cousin-coo Leigh's funny little guy. It was good to be with her; I've missed the Shneebs.

Consuming ribs with reckless abandon. Delicious, delicious ribs.

There was a lot of jumping going on.

The property next to my aunt and uncle's had PONIES!
And a very rude swan that terrified Ruby.

May found Matt, my cousin Leigh's husband to glob onto when Uncle Kurt wasn't around. An excellent second choice. That May May loves the men-folk. In the corner is my cousin Leigh who just bit the bullet and dyed her hair. She is braver than I. But it looked great.
Uncle Kurt, without May, and my cousin Katie, along with a spattering of my cousin's darling children.
My aunt had two huge blow-up slides that the boys set up in the back yard. This is my cousin Beth's daughter Kelsey.
And Rubes, who was in heaven. May wouldn't go down. She was probably too busy following some guys around.
We had a really, really good time. Thanks so much, Auntie Shawn and Uncle Kurt.

14 comments:

yomama said...

Great documentary and I can assure all who attended that every bit of praise and glowing report is sincere, as we got to hear it all first hand on the drive back. The Reynolds are SO glad and grateful that they were able to go.
Looked so fun - am so glad that they were able to!
Thank you one and all, and especially you Auntie Shawn for making it happen.
And I must say how fabulous Margaret looks!!! She should be a contestant on "She's Got the Look"!

Kasey said...

I'm a little bit jealous. Ok, I lied! I'm totally jealous. What a fun little gathering. I hate it when I miss stuff. And don't worry, I was ticked too about the cancellation of this reunion. Especially since my kids were older and it would have been pure heaven! Oh well. In 2 years for sure, but I'll most probably have an infant. Ya think Rubes would play mom to him/her?

MOMMACITA said...

OH! I feel like I got to go! Thanks for the up to speed commentary. I wish I would have bit the bullet, brought my 2 cans of olives and come. I wouldn't have been sorry. And now all I am is sad. Happy for you all, but I missed out big time. Shawn, thanks for hosting. You know how to have a hearty party!

Thinking about ribs right now.

Brandon Bridge said...

family reunions are the best

Anonymous said...

You documented it so well. It really looked like a fun time and I was there!!!!! You are a fun niece and I am so glad you came. Thanks and you all make my heart swell!!!! Auntie

Anonymous said...

Mommacita: We couldn't bring ourselves to have olives without you!!! Maybe next time. Auntie Shawn

Anonymous said...

Also Annie, thanks for the "Crew Neck Quilts" shoutout! You rock!

john said...

Large inflatable wet slides?! Can't be an actual Garlock reunion, queen sized air mattress is all we really need. Also did anyone one in attendance even have Garlock as last name? phhhhlease.

Dehner Family said...

It must be because we both look like the Marlboro Man. Short, stalky, balding, bitter and just trying to survive. Wait, that's Homer Simpson, never mind.

camie said...

That looks like so much fun. I'm looking to be adopted.

Marc said...

Good job on the summary. What is really depressing is that you were just a kid when I started med school and I am just now starting my practice and you have THREE kids of your own.
We have got to figure out a way for Ruby and Ella to get together again they were so funny when they saw each other.

leigh said...

Don't you love that grandma wears pearls to a BBQ!!?! Great post. I'm so glad ya'll were there. It was the highlight of the summer so far.

Debbie said...

Jealous over here----

Debbie said...

And John---Troy and Drew still talk about that air mattress. Simple things for simple minds...