Today at the grocery store, this lady sidled up beside us and started commenting on my girls--how cute they were! Look at those blue eyes! And all that curly blonde hair! And so well behaved! She completely won me over. We small talked while I picked out produce and she surprised me when she said "I can tell you're someone special." Well, yes. Oooobviously. When someone is grocery shopping all sweaty and wearing spandex cycling pants with a padded crotch, of course they're special. Like Don't-eat-the-paste-special. But truly, in reference to her comments of my adorable and miraculously at-the-moment well-behaved children, I was flattered. But I also thought it was funny. I laughed and said something charmingly self-depreciating and then she blurts out "I'm looking for special people like you to expand my business. I have several employment opportunities I think you or someone you know might be interested in."
And it was then when I realized her empty shopping cart was just a prop in her ploy to rope me into her crazy pyramid scheme. Pfffff.
7 comments:
annie, i wish i could watch you grocery shop in your padded spandex. you ARE special.
that happened to me at BYU, except it was this girl who was trying to recruit for a "modeling agency" in provo. i was all flattered that she thought i was so pretty, and then the referral card came out. i felt and was a fool!
Hi! My name is JoAnna and I'm good friends with Brooke O here in MN. She tells me you live in PA and my hubby and I are seriously considering moving there for his fellowship. I was wondering if I could pick your brain and hear what you think about it. I would love to hear your take on it!
Would you mind getting in contact with me? My email is joannakmorris at gmail dot com.
THANKS!!!
had the same thing happen in iowa at the ped mall's water thingy. some mom came up and said "i can't leave without offering you some pampering." gee thanks! i know i'm not put together, but we're playing in the water with two hooligan boys. mary kay sales person! blah!
I think there is a special place in hell reserved for pyramid scheme-rs.
Get Out! That's unbelievable! How did you get out of that one?
Eeeeew. Sick. Those people make my skin crawl. My experience was with an old "friend" I hadn't seen in years. When I saw and her husband at some hot dog joint and learned they lived near me. "Oh, we should get together sometime," she said. Yeah, and then once they fool me into wanting to rekindle our frienship, out comes the scheme. Nice. I felt like a real dope.
But really, in the store?
Post a Comment