School is starting to wind down for Ruby. Today she brought home her "Kid Writing" journals which consisted of a short little one, two or three sentence-entries the kids would write every couple of days. Each entry was accompanied by a picture. Ruby really progressed throughout the year; it's cool to see tangible improvement in terms of spelling and handwriting. Now she spells just about every word correctly whereas the beginning of the year, the words were sounded out very phonetically. She also writes much smaller than she did in the beginning of the year. (*Excuse me while I brag: during my parent-teacher conference a couple of months ago, her teacher told me she was the best reader in the class. I was so proud. Not surprised, just very proud.) She and I sat down after school and read through them today. Here are some of my favorites entries:
Oct. 28, 2008: Me and my sister are sad about her blister.
Ruby: Mom, why are you laughing? May had a blister.
Nov. 11, 2008: Cats purr and are lazy. They eat cat food.
Nov. 14, 2008: I drove my sister to America on the Mayflower.
Ruby: Get it? Because her name is MAY!
Dec. 15, 2008: At night, Rudolf came into my room. I was awake but May was asleep. Rudolf wanted to lick me.
Feb. ?, 2009: My Dad shaved off his mustache. (In the picture, she is crying.)
March 3, 2009: There are a "shotel" living under my bed. At night, he sneaked under my sheets and tickled my feet.
Me: Ruby, what's a shotel?
Ruby: I don't know. It was my story, so I just made something up.
March 5, 2009: The Klo that glowed followed me home. She was so cute. I gave her a boot and kept her as my pet!
Me: So what's a Klo?
Ruby: I told you! These are my stories and I just make stuff up!
April ?, 2009: If I see a person throwing a cigarette in the recycling can or on the ground, I will tell them to throw it in the trash can.
Ruby: Woops. I meant to write "if I see a person throwing a cigarette in the trash can, I will tell them to throw it in the recycling."
Me: Because if they're going to smoke around you, the least they can do is recycle, right?
Ruby: Right. I think smoking is gross.
Me: You're right. Smoking is gross.
Ruby: And bad for you.
Me:Very bad for you.
Ruby: But if someone smokes, that doesn't mean they're a bad person. They just didn't make a a good choice.
Me: Right. That's very wise of you.
Ruby: You told me that.
Me: Oh. Right.
April 29, 2009: The slimy red worm squirmed up the brown horse's leg. She squirmed up its back and down it's tail.
Me: Ew, that's kind of gross, Rubes.
Ruby: Why?
Me: It just sort of is.
Ruby: Yah, I know. But I really wanted to write a story about a worm and that's all I could think of.
7 comments:
Someday you are going to live closer. I AM LIVING FOR SOMEDAY!!
I'm banking on her being as sweet and candid and as good a sport when she is however old she'll be someday.
I can't even imagine what would happen if Capri and Ruby got together and were in their best form. It might be like the nexus (spelling?) of the universe for creativity and the world would come to a stop.
luvs, aby
Wow. She is killing me! If this is kindergarten you should just start preparing for her future Pulitzer now.
She uses such internal rhyme! I loved each and every one.
Wow, those are awesome!
wow, that is one smart cookie!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! She is brilliant. Simply brilliant! I can see her blog one day,...something very similar and entertaining like yours. Congrats on the reading, as well as the lesson learned about good people vs. bad choices. That was very sweet and awesome.
Super delicious pics of Olive. She really is beautiful and squishy all at the same time. Good work. =)
Post a Comment