Monday, August 25, 2008

The First Day

Quite a bit lately, I've been asked "So is Ruby excited for school?" and "How is Ruby feeling about starting kindergarten?" My answer regarding Ruby's feelings towards going to school would be best expressed by this visual demonstration:

Like her parents, she has a hard time masking her true feelings. I think she'll end up loving it, but she did go with some apprehension when she realized that I would not be going to school with her everyday, all day.

She did perk up once May got in the pictures, though.

I will tell you two things that went well: She cried less than I did and she never actually saw me cry. That's all I wanted because I knew the tears were inevitable from all parties involved. The girl I'm really feeling sorry for is May, who has asked twenty times already "Wez Wooby?"

13 comments:

Meredith said...

that's really very classic though. and now when she comes home at the end of the day you'll be absolutely ITCHING for one of her questions like, "if you were to live on one of the 9 planets, which would it be and why?" (i don't know if that's a typical ruby question...it sounds like it might be...but actually that's one that sarah asked one day when she was little...i think 5 or 6.)

ruby is beyond lovely. the absolute living end.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry there was crying. Figured there'd be some from you, though it was hard to read. Didn't expect it from her and certainly didn't think there'd be any from me but those two things that went well really zinged my heart.
So glad that there were some smiling pictures and I'm sure there will be upon her return (I'd take some for contrast and for future times of encouragement).

gojensens said...

Oh, I just love Ruby's facial expressions! Ruby and May are just too cute! Hope all goes well for Ruby and you on her first day of school! Max starts tomorrow, I can't believe our babies are going off to school.

josieposie said...

annie - just wondering what kind of D care they have for her. Ethan is starting next tues...

KatieB said...

your girls are so darling. i know she'll love it.

Annie said...

I just emailed you my long, long, stupid story, Josie. BLEH.

Beth said...

Isn't it just hearwrenching to see your precious little one climb onto the big bus knowing that there will be big snarly kids who will be around her teaching her things you don't want her to know? I totally cried when I sent Dillon two years ago and I send Kelsey on Friday. We'll see if I can hide my tears from her like you did from Ruby. Good job on that, by the way. That took some serious tear ducts of steel.

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

Love the pictures! Ruby's face is classic and the two of them together are great. I am sure May is really going to miss having her big sis. around to play with all day.

elizabeth said...

We're holding cyber hands right now. Ruby and May look beautiful and I know she'll love school! You're a good mommy.

Nat D said...

LOOOOVE your girls. I can't believe you have one old enough for school now. Sheesh.

Annie said...

Join the club, Natalie. I still feel like I'm 13 most of the time. Yes. 13.

Jill T said...

Cute girls! And cute backpack!

Audra Bollard said...

Aaahh. My heart aches. I am going to be a mess when my day comes, and I NEVER thought I'd have a hard time with this kind of stuff. Keep us posted about how it goes.