Saturday, August 30, 2008

Just Scratching a Blogging Itch, That's All

I'm feeling a lag in blogging creativity as of late. People all around me are going through hardships and trials and I think it's just kind of getting me down. Also, nothing noteworthy has happened in our family lately, which the way things seem to be going all around, no news can be good news. But because I'm feeling the itch to blog, I will record a classic conversation between Ruby and I, started by a classic"Ruby" question, one that she asked me about three minutes ago.

Ruby: Mom? What is my voice made of?
Me: Uh...sound waves.
Ruby: What are sound waves?
Me: It's what travels through the air when a sound is made.
Ruby: Beep! (looks around) We can't see them.
Me: Right. They're invisible.
Ruby: Then how do you know they're there?
Me: Because scientist have tools that prove it. Sound waves can make the air shake a little and the tools measure how much the air shakes and that's how they know there are sound waves.
(I am SO not qualified to answer these types of questions.)
Ruby: We can't see air either.
Me: You're right.
Ruby: Only when it's cold, we can see our breath.
Me: Yup.
Ruby: Why?
And another lengthy science-y conversation with stuff I'm only half-sure about ensues.
And then another one.
And then another one.
And then another one.
Hello, Saturdays.

2 comments:

Aby Runyan said...

I think we are ALL feeling this lag. It's kind of weird, but I've been noticing it too.
Ruby has GOT TO BE one of the very smartest kids I know (well know through the internet at least), because not only does she ask a LOT of questions, she asks really interesting questions. I'm not smart enough to even THINK UP the kind of questions she asks.
luvs, aby

PS - the word verification I have to do is "gohan". This makes me think what Lindsay Lohan's name would be if she was in the Lord of the Rings. Lindsay Gohan.
See, I'm not that smart.

Annie said...

I've been totally meaning to turn my word verf. off. Thanks for reminding me!