Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Because What Would I Do With All Those Aprons?

Trip anecdote:
So I'm in Irvine; it's one of the first days when the girls are still on Eastern Standard Time, three hours ahead of the rest of the slumbering Pacific Coast Time neighborhood. I'm downstairs in the kitchen, fixing the girls breakfast when I start hearing an awful beeping noise, that sound I cannot stand--an alarm clock going off. It keeps going and going and going. About 6 or 7 minutes goes by when I can't take it anymore, and I charge around the house looking for the cause of the horribleness, ready to smash it to pieces. After ruling out the downstairs, I head upstairs and realize it's coming from my parents' bedroom. The door is shut so I knock. No answer. I knock again, louder this time and still nothing. The beeping is filling my ears. I start to see hot flashes of white rage. I burst in and I find my Mom sleeping beneath a pile of blankets while this alarm is just sitting right next to her, screeching its electronic brains out. It takes a couple of seconds to sort out this situation. The first thing that comes to my mind: "She's dead!" Horrified and realizing the mounds of aprons I possibly just inherited, I run over to her to find that no, she's not dead, she just has the world's best ear plugs squashed inside her ear canals. So I wake her up and she gives me that quick nose inhale, wide eyed, startled out of deep slumber head shake thing. And while I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief, I'm pretty sure that I see, peeking out from beneath her covers, the strap of the black and white polka dotted apron she is wearing over her pajamas.

6 comments:

Hansen Family said...

That is funny:)

Anonymous said...

Really? This is all your Tuesday, August 19 could provide? Yawn.
I'll have you and your 400hitsaday know that I always remove my apron after eating in bed, before I slip under the covers (which sadly enough is quite often and after we get a better bedroom TV, will become a thrice daily ritual, I am sure).
Once your children are grown and out of the house, I can not recommend highly enough the use of earplugs on noisy occasions (e.g. them returning with darling jetlagged grandchildren who wake early, sleep deprived...you get my jist).
And for all you English minors out there, who might think that I mistyped i.e., go to http://www.wikihow.com/Use-'ie'-Versus-'eg' for some enlightenment.
Big favor - please leave my nostrils out of the story next time. You get the shaky fist for that one.

MOMMACITA said...

Yomama wore her polka dot apron while she slaved for the glitch event. I am absolutely certain that she was so tired from that (July 12) that she never removed it yet but fell asleep with it on. For a month.

She is my aproned hero. up up and away

ericareynolds said...

I'm just glad to hear that she actually had something on underneath the polka dot apron.

Anonymous said...

ericareynolds you just won my vote for most hilarious comment on a blog!

csotutu said...

Tears streaming down my face. Sorry, yomama. Besides earplugs I would also suggest a locking door once children are grown... and use it. It prolongs the mystery of whether you are dead or not.