Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Tales from the Ghetto


Oh hey, it's me again--the snob.

In the medical world, most families are dirt poor until they get out of residency unless there's a trust fund baby in the house, they've inherited a wad or have had a successful career in a different area of work before entering medical school. Go and I definitely fall into the category of just plain old dirt poor, which is where most of our friends are as well. A conversation that is often had between the young med folks (med students/residents/fellows) is "What Are We Going To Do With All of Our Money When This Crap Is Finally Over." It's a conversation I always try to steer away from because it kind of stresses me out but really the first thing that automatically pops into my mind is "I won't have to grocery shop at Wal-Mart anymore."

Anyone who knows me well knows that I HATE WAL-MART with a fiery, red, steaming hot passion. I hate everything about it besides the obvious big, evil corporation that is killing the small family-owned businesses. I hate the lighting, the gross linoleum floors, the font they use for everything, that annoying color of blue and those mocking, yellow smiley faces, the dirty carts, the horrible produce, the rotten meats, the checkout people who have to ask what all of your vegetables are, the blue vested knuckle heads who look at you like you just stepped out of a space ship when you ask where the prosciutto is, the spray painted carnations, the thin bags that always break and oh, my colorful fellow shoppers.

When I shop at my closest Wal-Mart, I fear for my life. There are people selling car stereos and other stolen goods out of the backs of rusty Dodge Caravans, there are thugs around every corner, I would venture to say 1 out of every 4 shoppers is packing heat, the tooth to tattoo ratio is mind blowing, the girth is abounding, the dirt, the grime, the B.O...it's just a potpourri of gross.

Picture this: Today, it's raining. I finally find a suitable parking space. I step out of my car and what do I step in? Hair extensions. Nappy, scraggily, twisted, wet hair extensions. Was I surprised? Not at all.

13 comments:

bethany said...

I don't like shopping for groceries at Walmart either-something about the food doesn't seem as appetizing... I've found that it's actually cheaper to shop at regular grocery stores with coupons-thank goodness!

[alisar] said...

So that Dodge Caravan in the parking lot...Was it powder blue with gold rims on the tires? Was it driven by a band of Mexicans? If so, tell "Blue Steel" I miss him and hope he is behaving himself.

Kristen said...

Thanks for putting into words my feeling about Walmart so perfectly. Just got back from a horrendous trip there myself.

It's sad that I "treat" myself to shop at the Hyvee down the road. But at least their meat/veg/fruit is awesome. And their organic section too. I just can't handle paying $5.25 for some Special K with Red Berries, or $6 for contact solution.

Cheryl said...

You kill me girl! Your explanation was perfect. I've given in to the temptation right behind me...my convenient "Giant". I find myself there way too often!

Julie said...

Hey, just be glad you have a super-walmart. The snobs of Ann Arbor have managed to keep them away, so we just have to pay a fortune for groceries. My menu has gotten pretty boring. We do have a regular Wal-mart, but luckily it has 24-hour security roving the parking lot!

Audra Bollard said...

My parents have an ongoing debate: my Mom claims the savings are worth the "shopping experience" of Wal-Mart, while my Dad wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near the entrance. I think your post just scored another point for Dad . . .

DianeM said...

I think you already know my views on Wal Mart but here's some more ammunition for you (as if you needed any)...
(me)
http://dimonty.blogspot.com/2008/02/10-on-my-humor-scale.html

(my friend)
http://delightfullydevilish.blogspot.com/2008/02/writing-mania.html

Anonymous said...

So sad & true. The reason why Wal Mart is so evil is that you can't stay away because of the prices. All those dreadful things you listed and despise and I bet you'll be there next week! Corporation wins. Bummer. I wonder if the hair extension was bought at Wal Mart...

Tam said...

Hey, this Wal-Mart isn't bad at all, well, yeah it is, but it is much, much better than the one I frequented in Detroit, talk about fearing for your life, and health, and car, and kids' lives, and wallet, and jacket, and watch, and etc…oh, on another note, can you imagine how much of our money that grimey place has? Hurry up residency!!!!

Hansen Family said...

Hear Hear!!! Someday that day will come!! I wish I was a trust fund baby:)

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

I so hear you once again. For the past 2 years we have actually had a second option of Meijer, so I have indulged. However, as we move this summer, I believe the only option is Walmart again. Kill me now, or Walmart will.

hayleyharts said...

wal-mart sucks yes..but the bad news is I still shop there...and you described the people there perfectly..somtimes I have to look at myself and my kids to make sure we don't blend in too well with the wal-mart population..its been a close call a few times..

Robin said...

Every time I'm walking through the parking lot to my car I SWEAR I will not return!