Thursday, March 27, 2008

Mansfield Park


My dear friends,

I wish to inform you that I watched a movie yesterday that I found most agreeable. It's name is Mansfield Park, a movie based on a Jane Austin novel. Don't be vexed that I just spelled her name wrong; it was merely from habit, as I have always done when penning her name, as a rebellion of sorts.

You see, when one has lived within the confines of a very small apartment with 5 other girls, one finds herself exposed to all things feminine, one of these things being Jane Austin, oh fine, Jane Austen: not only her books but movies based from them, especially a certain box set of the BBC's Pride and Predujice. It was I who would flee the television set to retreat to my room to blast Beastie Boys in hopes to drown out the uppity chitter-chatter coming from the living room, as the rest of the girls would snuggle together on the couch and swoon at the likes of Mr. Darcy. I do recall one Sunday afternoon when I joined them, but I believe that it was only to get my hair brushed.

I wouldn't say that I thought Ms. Austen a ninny, but I would venture to say I found her work most dull and totally unrelatable, as I never had the pleasure of having any sisters, nor had I ever had the desire to wear a corset or wish to dwell upon prospective suitors' social class.

But yesterday as I watched Mansfield Park, I was most delighted. I wish to inform you of this, especially my former room mates, in hopes that I shall be able to come back into your good graces, as I had become a social outcast for constantly mocking your love of all things Austen and threatening to flush those blasted VHS tapes down the loo.

I do not think it probable that I shall run out and buy Emma or start devouring Jane's novels by the dozen, but I surely will not roll my eyes when one proclaims to love Ms. Austen with the fiercest part of her heart.

Yours affectionately,
Ann

15 comments:

[alisar] said...

Dearest Ann,
Just this year, I experienced a similar change of heart towards the overly praised Austen of BYU. I think one must remove oneself from that campus and the rapid fans in order to appreciate the true genius of the woman. Glad to know I'm in such excellent company.
Mrs. Dr. Ringger

BR said...

... and I bet you bought it at WalMart. You snob.

bethany said...

I forgive you.

bethany said...

I'm generous like that.

Beth said...

That was a good version of Mansfield park watch. Maybe one day your heart will soften to Persuasion??? Maybe.

Taryn said...

What's it like to be inside your head, dear cousin? How do you come up with this stuff?! Your creativity inspires great jealousy in my heart!

And, if you haven't already, you must see Sense & Sensibility. Super swoon-worthy.

Meredith said...

sarah and i watched that ad nauseum et infinitum in early 2002 during my IVC-pre-BYU days. it's not very true to the book, but we loved it! did you know that edward (is that his name? i can't remember...the main guy that's eli stone now) is angelina jolie's 1st husband? that's right. i know, the movie just got 3.2 knotches better.

Annie said...

Jonny Lee Miller. Very aware of him. Surprised?

Except that he does nothing for me as Eli Stone. I like my men in surgical scrubs, not suits.

KatieB said...

so proud.

Anonymous said...

Impressively authentic on the Austen!
And not copy Mrs. Dr. Ringger, but a few weeks ago when your dad was out of town somewhere and I was in heaven (aka in front of the new big screen watching movies 24/7 and sewing), I watched - I think it was S & S - Hugh Grant/Emma Thompson/Kate Winslet and I actually really enjoyed it. I'd seen it years ago and didn't care for it at all and have always been an antifan - couldn't get past 6 pages of one of her books - talk about tedious.
Hemingway...liking it this time made me want to seek out more of hers, but they'd have to be of same quality and contain as much beauty. Totally willing to take recommendations.
On the Jonny Lee Miller - saw him in the first few minutes of Hackers a couple of weeks ago - young and thin and blond but definetly him and believeable that AJ and he would be a couple - don't get that from Eli Stone. She starred in Hackers as well, and I believe that is where they met, but I'd have to imdb it to make sure and I don't care that much. He's British, but carries off an authentic American accent in my opinion.
Okay - this - JLM and ex starring in a JA flick. Could be wild.

Jennifer said...

Oooh! I think I'll watch it. Now I'm just wandering why your mom is up at 2:35 in the am.

Anonymous said...

Jen - it's not like daughter, like mother...I wasn't up that late I know for sure, so I'm thinking with the 3 hour time difference when I post at 11:35 Pacific, it shows up on her blog at her time???

Nate and Jen Poulson said...

I'm so glad you have seen the error of your ways and have come towards the light.
I too, Raised by a family of men. Knew nothing of Jane Austen and all her hope of one day finding herself a Mr. Darcy.
However my mother-in-law enlightened me (can you say no to your mother-in-law?) We watched the entire BBC Pride and prejudice one Christmas break and it has since then become a tradition. And I received my own DVD version.
Call anytime you want to come over for a marathon! I'm always up for it.

Graham Fam said...

Love Jane Austen, but that's because I grew up with lots of sisters and watched old movies like "pillow talk" (a classic), we are just looking for true love anywhere we can find it, pretty pathetic I know. Glad you are finally liking it.

Jennifer said...

So I watched it when I went to visit David and Aubri and I thought it was great. I always love those kinds of movies cause, well, I just do. Afterwards I just struggled with the whole marrying your cousin thing, and the fact that I desperately wanted them to get married. Well at least until I thought about them being cousins. Then I thought that maybe they had to marry cousins back then for lack of options maybe. I don't know, still weird to me. AND, now I realize that the time stamp on the comments is in your time, not ours. Thanks Auntie Caren!