
-Chocolate brown and white with yellow accents. I'm still undecided on the shade of yellow: pale yellow, lemon yellow, straw yellow or golden yellow. I'm leaning towards pale yellow because I saw this fabric on Amy Butler's site and I liked it. My brown would be darker, though. Anyway, I chose yellow because of my kitchen walls, but also you usually see chocolate brown pared with different colors other than yellow, so I want to do something a little unexpected but not too obnoxious. Plus, it wouldn't clash with my kitchen like most other colors would.
-Paint the walls white. I know, bor-ing. Maybe a really pale warm yellow but really, really pale. But probably white.
-Stain the cabinents mahogany.
-Find some fun knobs for the cabinents. Will make a trip to Anthropologie when I go home in August.
-Chocolate brown hand towels: got those already.
-Put a couple of small pieces of artwork in there, done in chocolate brown and yellow ink/paint. A bird theme. I'm into birds. Maybe do a wood or a lino cut and do some fun prints.
-At some point change the light fixture to something brushed stainless steel or dark brown. The towel rack, too.
And there you have it. Those are my plans. Hey, whoever left the anonymous note on my last bathroom post, thank you! You were the only one that gave me any ideas and I appreciated it. I liked your idea, too, but taupe scares me in a space that small.
There is something about all this that I'm a little hesitant about but I'm going to see if anyone comes up with it on their own.
Anyway, I think it could end up totally cool or super ugly. Any thoughts? Be honest, people. This is my downstairs half-bath we're talking about here. Really important, serious stuff.
15 comments:
I think that sounds grand! I'm going to do my half bath in some sort of a chocolate brown too. I think the light yellow would look fabulous! I went to Target today to get chocolate hand towels and ended up getting everything except the hand towels. I guess I get to make another to Target! Good luck! We were on a painting rampage this week. Lotts of work, but well worth the end result. Stay tuned for pictures of Kylee's bright room and my yellow upstairs bathroom.
Love the idea of the light yellow with chocolate brown. I was the anonymous comment leaver on the bathroom post...not quite sure why I didn't leave my name. I found your blog randomly and like your posts and cute fam. My bedroom is chocolate brown and blue...I know, everyone is doing it now. I love the dark brown though. Good luck
maybe you could do those dark copper fixtures (i know that's not the name of it, but i'm really braindead right now and can't remember the term), but you know what i'm talking about. if you do the walls pale yellow, maybe you could bring in one more color with the artwork and stuff. i'm not a decorator, sorry
Those are perfect colors for a bathroom, for obvious reasons.
SO cute.
I was thinking BROWN. Yellow would be so cute with it. Love the swatch. Could you come to my house and pick out a color for my basement???
oil-rubbed bronze!!! it came to me in the shower! oil-rubbed bronze! but now that i write that the word "bronze" looks really weird to me. is that even a word? maybe i still don't have it...
By the way, in my March archieves I have pictures of my room if you are interested. The walls are beige and I think they look good with the dark accents. It makes the brown/black pop.
ooh annie, it sounds gorgeous. i'd love to sit in your new bathroom anytime :)
emmy
ANNIE! Hey how are you! I am so glad I found your blob..WOW you are amazing!!! I would love to do a blog..but seriously my kids are kicking my butt right now..I know that sounds so pathetic and wimpy ..but maybe I could pull it off sometime...and by the way I was in utah and met a lady in my sister's ward who was visting from Hershey Penn. and is in your ward!she loves you and your girls..she was very skinny and had a dutch boy hair cut..crazy world..oh and about the Amy butler FAbric..LOVE IT..I am obbessed with her fabric..and i love that print..funny because I am using some of her fabric for pillows that has yellow in it too.. yellow is my new fav. color these days..so you go for it girl!
ok I meant your BLOG!!..please do not hold that one against me!!SO SORRY!!
Is it wrong to think of Yellow and Brown in total pee pee and doo doo colors? Even tho I do like it, it just makes me laugh like a second grader.
You could be like my parents who hung wallpaper upside down on accident. And they are tiny stars. so we call it the satanic bathroom.
Love it.
Anything you do is amazing. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Bright white is always good for small bathrooms, goes with choc brown of course.
I LOVE that fabric. I would just frame a couple of pieces of it and hang them up, if I were you. I'm wishing I had remembered to search her out before I bought fabric for our house. I have to say I'm a little against the brown and yellow combo, mostly because of the Davis High darts, who were our bitter rivals. Their colors were brown and yellow, and I have spent my life mocking the combo. I'm sure that you could make it gorgeous, though.
I do believe that anonymous (chicken!) and Kristen may have hit the nail on the head (so to speak) based on recent bathroom focused postings. Perhaps the subliminal message will help speed things up for those using the facilities.
Okay - now for a constructive comment. Maybe every one of you hip youngsters (or is it young hipsters?) has done this already, but for an easy, inexpensive way to sophisticate a plain mirror:
Measure the perimeter of your mirror and have Home Depot (others may do it too) cut you proper length of molding with mitered ends. The long side is the meaurement. I'd go with 4-5 " molding if your mirror is largeish. Spray paint each piece and then with Liquid Nails, adhere each piece to the mirror to form a "frame" - you only have to hold them for like 20 seconds. If you measured correctly and they mitered properly, you may not need to do anymore than that but if there are gaps you can caulk a little and touch up paint. Voila'! you have a what appears to be a framed mirror. Saw it on HGTV one week and had professional stager suggest it the next week.
So I didn't leave any bathroom suggestions because we painted our half bath and it ended up looking like the green version of Pepto Bismol-I am in no position to give decorating advice in bathrooms. Paint looks different on the walls of a windowless bathroom than it does on the paint chip.
Post a Comment