Monday, July 09, 2007

Suggestion



My brothers have given us some pretty cool gifts. DVDs and books, mostly. Otis Redding Live on DVD, Beatles movies, books about how to make, adjust, or enhance anything in your wardrobe, books that show you how to make virtually anything out of recycled objects, Found! magazine annual (compiled of things/letters/lists that people have found various places - truly compelling) and this book: Suggestion.

It's a thick little book compiled from an art project that some guys conducted in NYC. They went around to different parts of the city, approached people on the street and asked people to make suggestions - write them down and put them in this big box that they carried around. The book is fascinating - what people came up with on the spot, the possibilities of the back stories that went along with these suggestions, and to see the original, with the person's own unique handwriting makes it all the more interesting. " These suggestions might shock you, inspire you, crack you up, or break your heart. But as you turn the pages, consider it a way to connect with others, a glimpse into what everyday people are thinking, feeling, and seeing in our world. You might not be the only one who has that idea, and you might be surprised by the originality of others."

Here are some of my favorites:

-"I suggest all white guys with dreads cut their hair and donate it to stuffed animal factories."

-"That the world be covered in linoleum so we could tap dance all day!"

-"Take breath mints when offered."

-"I suggest anyone that pays the additional 30 cents to dial the phone # after calling information seriously re-evaluate their life."

-"It shouldn't be called "BLUE." It should be called "RONK."

-"Strong laws limiting who can wear cut off tops."

-"My friend, Jonathon, should kiss me."

-"Beware of new enterprises requiring new clothes."

-"Women shouldn't wear stockings with open toed shoes." (Just as a side-note, I whole-heartedly agree with that one.)

-"People should not have dogs that look like themselves."

-"Kill Barney."

-"Next time someone says "Good to see you", say "It's good to be seen."

-"No labels on fruit."

-"A girlfriend who isn't a brainless, subservient cow for my friend Gustavo."

What would your suggestion be?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would suggest that no one ever use the two words "Moist" and "Cubicle" in the same sentence...like "Your cubicle is moist and smells pungent."

Ethan

Anonymous said...

I suggest that Clay Aiken NOT put his foot up on the arm rest in front of him.

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

That sounds like a great book! Entertaining & insightful! Thanks for sharing! As far as my suggestion - hmm, I am not as quick on the spot...but Michigan definitely needs to rid themselves of "Michigan lefts" (no green arrows for left turns, and no left turns at that. You have to PASS the street you want to turn left on, only to make a U-turn 100 ft. past the signal, and then turn right onto the desired street. Does that even make sense? Hence, my suggestion.)

Katie said...

I suggest we never wear neons again.

Julie said...

Amen to eliminating the Michigan left! It's insane.
I also suggest that airlines look into the concept of "customer service."

Jessie Riley said...

I'm thinking...

bethany said...

How about eliminating the combination of socks and sandals?-seriously overdone in UT. It's out.

Anonymous said...

I suggest your fellow bloggers wish you a Happy Birthday!!!! Hope that it's fun and CALM and full of smiles, and giggles and kisses!!! We love you!

[alisar] said...

I suggest using common sense when choosing your breast implant size.
(This thought has been on my mind lately as one of my friends just sent me post-op pictures of her new "torpedoes")

Shannon said...

I suggest people only say "hi, how are you?" if they mean it. I've noticed most people just say that but don't expect you to actually say how you are doing.