Tuesday, July 17, 2007

While you were sleeping, I was watching While You Were Sleeping

Every summer starting when I was about 10 until after I had Ruby, my Mom, my brothers, my Mom's siblings and all of my cousins would meet in Seattle. Part of the time there, we would stay at my Grandparent's lake house which is one of my favorite places on earth. But not the lakehouse in the present, really. More like the lakehouse 10 years ago. Now I have my own kids and it would be ME running out onto the dock, screaming "YOU BETTER BE WEARING YOUR LIFE VEST!", and not my Aunt Colleen. Life was so carefree there back then. Our biggest worries were whether we were concocting the proper lemon juice to water ratio for our hair and if the boys' stash of fireworks had been unearthed by our mothers. We'd swim, lay out, play cards, eat tons of food, play pool, drink Fresca, catch salamanders, ride on paddleboats, whatever we wanted, really. It was just non-stop fun. Being one of the older cousins, I was one of the lucky few that got to sleep in the coveted sleeping spot -- the tent trailer outside. One of the best things about the tent trailer was the little TV we had in there. My cousins and I would pile in and watch these three movies non-stop: The Sandlot, Liar Liar and While You Were Sleeping. I'm not a huge fan of your typical Chick Flick, so believe me when I tell you that contrary to popular belief, While You Were Sleeping is not one of them. I don't really like Sandra Bullock or Bill Pullman. But that's besides the point. Anyway, my cousins and I would usually quote Joe Junior lines like "I love black unda-wez" and "I know kah-rah-dee." But it really wasn't until I watched this movie recently that I fully appreciated the great dialouge. The dinner table conversation scene is genius. I googled it and someone had it typed out. It's so good:

Mother: Have you and Peter decided where you want to go on your honeymoon?
Saul: I went to Cuba on my honeymoon.
Grandma: Ricky Ricardo was Cuban.
Mother: Didn't Peter look great today?
Saul: Oh, that kid. He should have been an actor.
Grandma: He's tall.
Father: All the great ones were tall.
Mother: Lucy, you think you could find me a nice girl for Jack?
Jack: Oh, Mom. Come on.
Lucy: Well, I really don't know Jack's type.
Jack: I like blondes. Chubby ones.
Long uncomfortable pause
Saul: Alan Ladd wasn't tall.
Father: Marshall Dillon was six foot five.
Mother: Well, we all know who Lucy's type is! These mashes potatoes are so creamy.
Sister: You like brunettes.
Long uncomfortable pause
Grandma: I could never make a good pot roast.
Saul: You need good beef. Argentina has great beef. Beef and Nazis.
Father: John Wayne was tall.
Saul: Dustin Hoffman was 5'6".
Father: Would you want to see Dustin Hoffman save the Alamo?
Mother: These mashed potatoes are so creamy.
Saul: Spain has good beef.
Mother: Mary mashed them.
Saul: Cesar Romero was tall.
Grandma: Cesar Romero was not Spanish!
Saul: I didn't say Cesar Romero was Spanish.
Grandma: Well, what did you say?
Saul: I said, Cesar Romero was tall.
Grandma: We all know he's tall.
Saul: Well, that's what I said. Cesar Romero was tall. That's all I said.

4 comments:

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

HEE HEE! That is great! Sounds like lots of family fun too! I imagine it is a lot less work and a lot more fun to be the kids at such events. It will be eye-opening to be on the adult side, but super fun in new ways I am sure. You COULD still cram in the trailer to watch the movies! And now you don't have to worry about your lemon juice to water ratio - as you have it mastered by now! ;)

Anonymous said...

Okay, scary.
"These mashed potatoes are so creamy." is Auntie Colleen's favorite line of any movie. You may look seventeen, but you are appreciating like a 40 something year old. But what a great one to emulate.

Gooches said...

annie this is so funny. i am totally not a fan of typical chick flicks, also, but while you were sleeping is one of my favs, mostly because of this very dinner conversation! this totally made me laugh! thanks!

Katie said...

Classic scene. Love it.