I've noticed it takes a little while for me to make really good friends, but once I do, they can't get rid of me. I don't remember how long it took to make the friends I made in middle/high school but I'm still in contact with most of them, some of whom, I talk to regularly. At BYU I didn't become friends with "my girls" really until the second semester freshman year. What a waste of 4 perfectly good months. But we are all still pals, two of whom I introduced to their husbands, high school guy friends of mine. Now, most of them live in SoCal so I get to see them whenever I go home, which is something I always look forward to. In Iowa it took awhile to make friends, probably longer than 4 months. Again, a waste of precious time because even a year later, I miss them daily. I crave them, in fact.
While I consider myself a social person, for the past six years, I've been pretty lazy in the area, despite the few concrete friendships I've made in that time. Knowing that I would need major distractions from going insane from my quasi-single-parenthood, I have made major social efforts and what do you know? I've made some good friends here. We've been in PA a year now and I have a fun little circle of girlfriends, a couple of circles actually. I like having a couple of different set of friends so I don't feel like Miss Clicky Pants. Now my schedule is full of regularly scheduled activities with my friends which probably hasn't happened since BYU. It feels nice to be a social butterfly again. It's always good to get back to your roots.
3 comments:
I love good girl friends. Spending time with them, talking on the phone with them, blogging with them, everything with good girl friends help me make it through my days as a mom. I'm so glad we have them! Looks like you guys have a good fun group goin' on!
I am so glad to hear this. Glad for you - even glad-er for the people around you. When you don't have friends, you are wasting your magic, and that is just not right.
I miss you guys too! I visited Char and her husband, Bud, at their Lake house this week. We actually went twice, long story. But she asked about you guys and I had to catch her up!
Post a Comment