Per the book's instructions, you work on reading and writing everyday for about 10 minutes (the lessons get longer as you progress but never over 20 minutes - you don't want to overkill), it tells you (the parent/teacher) what to say, how to say it, how to correct them -- everything. It focuses on phonics, which I really like. The writing part is always at the end of the lesson, which is the most fun part for Ruby and sort of like her reward for getting through some of the tedious (yet imperative) stuff. I am very, very happy with the results. I highly recommend this here book. I do not, however, recommend teaching your four year old how to spell "I-CUP."
6 comments:
Interesting. I'll have to look into that in a couple years. Sounds like fun.
The other thing that you do really well is set an example of reading. If she never saw you read, she would be less motivated to learn to read too. That's definately half the battle--having a child who WANTS to learn!! Good job Annie. I'm still debating with myself if I want Jak to learn to read before Kindergarten for the mere fact that I'm afraid the result will be boredom and consequently bad behavior. He just has so much energy to begin with...so, not sure. I have a little while to decide :)
My reasoning is this: she had been wanting to read - telling me she wish she could, asking me how to spell things, loved letters, loves being read to, and yes, she sees both of her parents constantly reading, etc. so there was no way I was going to hold that back from her. I figure the kindergarten teacher will just give her more challenging things to read. Ruby is one to act up if she's bored, which is why I'm starting to teach her now. (Why save it for her kindergarten teacher?) She's been so antsy lately and ever since she's been really little, I've notice that when I'm not challenging her mind in some way, she starts getting really naughty and since I have over a year left before she goes into kindergarten, I'm hoping her being able to read will alleviate that antsyness (sp?) and we can have a more pleasant year together at home before she heads off to school. Anyway, there's my two cents about it all.
Danny's mom just told me about this book last week. I am definitely going to have to get it now!
Thanks for the info - I'm totally going to get that book and use it for Bailee :)
What would I do without other Moms? Did I have any idea this book even existed--no. Did I have any clue about pre-measured formula containers, spray sunscreen, those disposable travel bibs, or Baby Aquaphor (the only cream that worked on Ethan's eczema)--not until I started copying other Moms. We parents must stick together, thanks for sharing the wealth. And I think it's a great idea to get to teach Ruby to read if she's interested. Bring on the good books (and the hours of self-entertainment she will be able to provide herself!).
Post a Comment