Saturday, June 16, 2007

Dear Self:

Somewhere floating around the universe, hopefully in one piece and hopefully inside my house, is a letter written by the 1997 me, addressed to the 2007 me. It is encased in a red envelope that reads "Do not open until May of 2007." Ten years ago, we were instructed to write these letters during a church activity, to include goals we hoped to have achieved by now and things we hoped that we were doing in 2007. The only part of this letter I remember writing was "Dear Self:", because I thought it was funny. I have a few ideas of what the contents hold. I hope I do myself proud. I'll let you know when I find it.

This is me at 17. My cousin snapped this picture of me sheepishly crawling out of the back of my car after I had locked myself out, broken in through the back (not very hard to do in a VW bus) to retrieve my keys that I had left in the ignition overnight, parked on a sidestreet in Newport Beach. Hmm...even without reading that letter, just by being reminded of the back story to this photo, I'm pretty sure I've come a long way since then. But then again maybe not, since apparently I still have a tendancy to temporarily lose things.

8 comments:

KatieB said...

oh my gosh, the other day i found a letter i'd written to myself when i was 14 for when i was 16. it was so embarrassing! i hope your 17-year-old self was a little less dramatic than i was.

Annie said...

I highly doubt it.

Anonymous said...

Annie,
I know what letter you are talking about. I have mine dated March 4, 1997, sealed with wax on the back. I opened it a couple years back because I was thinking of throwing it out. Needless to say I kept it. Of course it was embarassing looking back on myself 10 years ago is always embarassing. Dig deep, I'm sure you can find it. Have a good laugh at your self like I did.

zeeny said...

Did you grow up in Newport? I grew up in Costa Mesa...I wonder if we were in the same stake?

Audra Bollard said...

Next year it will be 10 years since we met. The Annie in that picture is still the Annie that comes to mind when I think of you--I still remember you and Elizabeth so clearly from Y Groups Orientation (at least the parts we went to before Katie & I realized they were lame and not mandatory). You've probably achieved more than you ever thought you would 10 years ago!

Jessie Riley said...

I'm sure that it is going to be a BLAST to read! A friend and I did this... she read her's and emailed me last year to tell me it was HYSTERICAL... I think Mine might be at my mom's. Thanks for reminding me. I'll go searching for it while I'm home...

Can't wait for you to find it. I'm excited to hear what Self 1997 has to say to Self 2007...

bethany said...

Right before I got married, I found this list of all of the things that I wanted in a husband that I'd written for some YW thing when I was like 15. It was funny to read all of the things that I thought were important (taller than me? How tall did I think I was going to get?). It was drama for sure.

Tracy said...

I totally remember those letters, post some highlights when you find yours... I'm not sure I will be able to find mine (since my parents packed up and moved out of their house). I totally remember your VW van, I always thought that was the best mode of transportation.