Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I like to cook because I like to eat.

Here are some really good recipes I've made lately:


This recipe took only 25 minutes to make. Gotta love that.
GNOCCHI WITH SAUSAGE AND SPINACH (from my fave, Real Simple magazine)
17.5 oz. gnocchi (potato pasta dumplings)
1 T. olive oil
1 medium yellow onon, finely chopped
1 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed (I used turkey sausage and it worked like a champ)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
5 oz. fresh spinach
1/4 t. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3/4 c. grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish (I used shredded Parm, because that's all I had and it was good)

Cook the gnocchi according to the package directions, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage and cook, crumbling it with a spoon until browned, 5 - 7 minutes. Add the garlic, spinach, salt, and pepper and cook, tossing requently, until the spinach wilts, about 3 minutes. Add the drained gnocchi, the reserved cooking liquid, and the Parmesan and toss. Divide among individual bowls and sprinkle with additional Parmesan.


Ok, this recipe came from Katie Brown. She included this recipe for rice and beans with chicken recipe but I especially loved the baked rice and black beans--and I am not a rice and beans type of person and neither is Go but we both couldn't get enough of it. Ruby and May scarfed it, too.

THE BEANS
16-19 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
2 Tb. olive oil
1/3 c. tomato juice or water
3/4 tsp. salt
2 Tb. chopped fresh cilantro

In a nonstick skillet, cook garlic and cumin in oil over medium heat, stirring until fragrant. Add black beans, juice and salt and cook until beans are heated through. Stir in cilantro.

THE RICE
1 onion finely chopped
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
1/3 c. olive oil
1 c. rice
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 Tb. chili powder
1 4 oz. jar of button mushrooms
Stock (about 1 1/2 cups) (I used beef broth)
grated parmesan cheese (I used shredded)

Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil until just soft. Add the rice and seasonings and brown lightly. Add the mushrooms and enough boiling stock to come to one inch above the rice. Cover and bake at 350 until the liquid is completely absorbed, around 35 minutes. Sprinkle with parm cheese.


This recipe came from the cookbook that my stake in Iowa put together:
GARLIC CHICKEN PASTA DISH (submitted by Laurie A.)
16 oz. bow tie pasta
2 to 3 cloves garlick, crushed
1 c. whipping cream (do not substitute anything for this, it will turn out bad. Just bite the bullet and use the fatty stuff)
3 chicken breasts
1/2 Tb. pepper
1/2 c. butter
1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
1 (12 oz.) bottle Lawry's Mesquite Marinade with Lime Juice

The night before, marinate chicken breasts in Mesquite sauce and refrigerate until ready to cook.
Grill chicken and cut. Boil pasta. Melt butter; add crushed garlic, whipping cream, pepper, Parm cheese, and bacon. Whisk together on low heat for 4 to 5 minutes. In large pot, add pasta and sauce and heat through.

8 comments:

Kristen said...

They all sound awesome. Can't wait to try - i'm bored of all our regular stuff and forget we have a million cook books. But would rather try something someone has already says is good, right?

Jessie Riley said...

I'm so exctied to try these recipes.
I'll forever LOVE you for giving me my favorite YUM-YUM Pasta!

ericareynolds said...

Annie,

I want the famous ginger cookie recipe. I have heard so much about it and would love to try it.

Kasey said...

The garlic chicken sounds delish! I think I will have to make it tomorrow!

Kasey said...

Just wanted to let you know I'm finishing my 3rd Harlan book. Right after you had posted "The Woods" my moms teacher friend had recommended him to her and she went out and bought a huge stack of his books. The first one I read was "No Second Chance" and I coudn't put it down. I only took 1 to Cali, so I stopped at a book store and bought "The Promise". I love it read!

Chereebee said...

YUM - I'm excited to try them! I LOVE the one from Laurie Andrews - I make it all the time. Love the pic of you with food - awesome!

Tracy said...

I love gnocchi... I can't wait to try it!

bethany said...

I love new recipes-I really only use ones that someone I know has made because I'm afraid otherwise they'll be too complicated or something.