Friday, April 20, 2007

Traditions!




I remember during the blissfully happy years of my life when I was still an only child (heh-heh J&J) my Mom and I would eat lunch, usually egg salad sandwiches, in our backyard and she would read to me from the Bookhouse Books, a series of books that my Grandma read to my Mom when she was a child. A couple of years ago, my Grandma gave me a set of the books and I love them. They are filled with classic and not so classic tales and the illustrations are done with pen and ink, black and white, sometimes with a coral or a tourquoise thrown in here or there. So good. Maybe I'll post some of my favorite illustrations from the books one of these days. Anyway, the books have that old book smell. I just love it. Not that I'd ever want to douse myself in old book smell, but I like opening the books and smelling that smell. Like a new car smell. Wouldn't want to wear the fragrance, I just like smelling it when climb aboard a spanking new ride. So today, I took the girls out back--quick girls! watch out for all those huge muddy holes!--(see previous post) with a blanket, our lunch, my favorite Bookhouse book and the camera. It was perfect about 70 and a little breezy. (It's about freaking time. Hello, it's nearing the end of April and this is the first nice day of spring we've had.) Ham sandwiches and grapes were eaten, nasty Crystal Lite was drank, and Snow-White & Rose-Red was read. Then we played on the playground until Ruby pulled May off the slide and they both started screaming. Eh, it was a nice thought. Maybe we'll try it again next week.

2 comments:

Tori said...

You have the most adorable little girls! As far as Crystal Light goes, you have to try the Walmart Great Value brand in Cherry. Random, I know, but it really tastes just like Cherry Koolaid. My joe even likes it. Just thought I would share the tip for little Ruby! Let me know what you think!!!

Kasey said...

Oh, the life of a mom. Isn't it grand?!?!