Thursday, November 11, 2010

Your Friends Will Thank You

Where we live is kind of a weird little quirky town. I keep telling myself that before we leave, I need to just walk down it's main street and take some photos. Each image would tell an odd story. One of our town's quirks is a radio station that's mainly run by the high school. Students are DJs and weather reporters and announcers of sports and local events. The music they play on week days are mostly 10 year old songs from EMO bands. On weekends, they play music from the 50's, which I enjoy because you never hear oldies that old over the air anymore. Nowadays, oldie stations are playing, like, The Police. Please.

My favorite thing about this particular station is the bulk of their commercials, which are public service announcements done by the high school students, which I assume are the result of group assignments in their Communications class. These public service announcements are as random as can be, read from scripts by non-actors: over-enthusiastic students with way too much expression or extremely stiff under-enthusiastic students. By the sounds of it, 75% of them have mouths full of metal--retainers, braces, head gear, etc. Topics range from underage drinking to helping the elderly. My favorite commercial is something that goes like this, read by the stiff, under-enthusiastic variety :

Girl: Hey, Craig.
Boy 1: Hey, McKenzie.
Girl: Have you noticed anything strange about Josh lately?
Boy 1: Yes, I have, McKenzie. I think he's stopped using deodorant.
Girl: Yes, I think you're right, Craig.
Boy 1: Do you think we should say anything to him, McKenzie?
Girl: I don't know, Craig. I don't want to hurt his feelings.
Boy 1: But his friends have stopped hanging around him. I think we should, McKenzie.
Girl: Ok Craig. Hey, Josh.
Boy 2: Hey McKenzie. Hey Craig. What's up?
Boy 1: We've noticed an odor coming from you lately, Josh. Have you stopped using deodorant?
Boy 2: You're right, Craig. I have. I don't shower very often anymore either.
Girl: Why, Josh?
Boy 2: I don't know, McKenzie. I didn't think anyone would notice.
Girl: People have, Craig. Maybe you should start showering and using deodorant again.
Boy 2: I think I will. Thanks guys.
Girl and Boy 1 in unison: No. Thank you, Josh.
Boy 1: This is a public service announcement brought to you by the students of BlahBlahBlah High School. As a courtesy to others around you, you should shower regularly, with soap and water, brush your teeth at least once a day, and be sure to wear deodorant.
Girl: Your friends will thank you.

It's awesome. I particularly enjoy the "brush your teeth once a day." Only once? Really? This explains so much.

7 comments:

john said...

The Police are heavens house band, btw.

camie said...

Once a day- I'm dying laughing.

MOMMACITA said...

LOVED this post. Want to marry it and have its babies.

Lori said...

And it is for reasons such as this that I will continue to shamelessly blog stalk you until the end of time … or at least until Deep Lunges and Unitards is no longer. Because You. Are. Brilliant. And if it’s all the same to you … I seriously LOVE you … or HEART you, whichever makes you feel more comfortable.

KatieB said...

how is that real?

Elizabeth Jex said...

I wish we had been able to public service announcements on the radio in high school. We practiced our own commercials enough.

Ben S. said...

this is hilarious - i wish we had a highschool radio station in our town. too funny. thanks for sharing.