A 3 ft wool felt triangle Christmas tree shape with double-layered wool felt Christmas ball-type ornament pockets with the days/numbers embroidered onto the front layer of the pocket. I forget where I got the idea. Garnet Hill, maybe? Martha? I forget. Anyway, I like it, but I get a little wistful when I look at it and think "Man, that duck billed platypus was so cool." It also doesn't photograph well. I haven't found a great place to hang it yet, so for now, I hang it over this mirror in the entryway. Last year was our first year doing it: every morning there was a little scroll of paper in that day's pocket with a poem on it, which told of a fun activity or treat we would do/have for the day, always something pretty simple and low-cost but the girls love it.Tomorrow's:
To keep your Mom from going insane,
You will make a paper chain
So you can count the links to know
When Christmas is coming. Ho-ho-ho!
And you may have a cream puff to eat
As your coming-home-from-school treat!
8 comments:
Hoping we'll get to see all of them?
I love that you're such a fun mom.
annie, i love this and i nearly shed a tear right along with you about the lost bag of animals. love your poem. YOU are cool.
So cute! Great job on it! Why does it always take so long to finish advent calendars? I just barely finished the one I started last year and it's just paper bags...
you are a good mom. and i love how you're always composing poems. you should publish your hate-ode to twilight.
What a beautiful advent tree after such a tragic loss with the first one. There's almost nothing that could get you out of a funk like that. Glad to see you bounced back :)
I couldn't write such a cute poem if my life depended on it. I can't make cream puffs either.
I can't help but think some poor lost soul found your old advent calendar on that airplane (a wandering vagabond? A neglected flight attendant?) and was so dazzled by it, they decided to not only finish making it, but turn their life around and stop doing drugs/loathing themselves/avoiding the IRS and become the person they always wanted to be. Forty years from now when they are a retired millionaire philanthropist like Bono, they will explain that a lost felt Christmas advent calendar changed their life. And it will be given to the Smithsonian and will spend it's felty days behind glass, inspiring generations. Wow.
love it!
Post a Comment