Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Throw Me a Bone, People

I thought I'd update you all on my mental status. It is not good. You may be saying "Right, right. From lack of sleep. It's to be expected. Chill." No. That's not it at all. #1- After years of being a goofball college student and later on, battling insomnia, I'm a No-Sleep rock star. #2- Olive sleeps ok at night. 4-6 hour stretches usually. The issue is that she won't sleep during the day. No naps. Zero. Unless you count falling asleep, then waking up and crying every 3 minutes until it's time to eat again. The weird thing is, she's totally tired but can't stay asleep. And when awake, rarely does she tolerate being put down for more than 30 seconds. I'm a believer that if needs be, letting kids cry-it-out works great, but that's not until at least another month down the road. At least. All I do all day long is hold a fussy, tired baby. My house is a mess. My dinners are lame. I don't get anything done. I'm lucky if I shower. I AM GOING CRAZY. I don't remember this with my other two. Ruby and May were extremely easy babies. Or maybe I'm just forgetting. I don't think so, though.

So what's the deal? Am I out of practice since I waited so much longer between May and Olive than I did Ruby and May? Is it acid reflux? Somehow, I convinced my pediatrician that it might be and she started Olive on Prilosec, so we'll see if that helps. Do I just have a tough baby? What's the deal? What should I do? How do you make a 4 week old nap?

P.S. - When I send post from my phone, it automatically says "Sent from my iPhone." I don't type it in. John.

16 comments:

DianeM said...

I am having PTSD just reading this post. It describes the first few months with Jaren perfectly. I will tell you what finally worked, but it's not exactly cool with the American Academy of Pediatrics. Don't call CPS on me, ok? I let him sleep on his tummy (but only during the day so I could watch or hear him breathe). He loved it, he slept like a champ, and I refrained from blowing my brains out. I think that is a story with a happy ending. Best of luck.

bethany said...

It's always so tough when they get so overtired that they just can't sleep-Storey was kind of like that with no naps during the day. We ended up figuring out that she would only sleep during the day if something was covering her eyes-weird, huh? We bought a baby sleep mask thing and it seemed to work. Want me to send it your way and see if it helps?
And since the whole sling thing didn't work, you may want to think about a wrap or other carrier, so at least when you're holding her, you'll have your hands free and can one or two things done. I know how frustrating it is to feel unproductive all the time cause you're holding a baby. I have a wrap that I'm not currently using if you want to try that--just let me know, I'l totally mail it out tomorrow.
I don't know how you feel about baby books, but I have always found the advice that the Baby Whisperer gives to be helpful when it comes to baby's sleeping. Good luck Annie---I have been there! It feels like the stage will last forever, but thank goodness-it only feels that way :)

stephanie said...

oh dear. fussy tired babies who won't sleep are so stressful. i'm so sorry! i have never had a wrap, but i have heard really good things about them. i would be willing to give it a shot. a really really tight swaddle and a fast swing always did the trick for my babies. good luck!

[AnnieR] said...

Thanks you guys. Here's what I have to say in response to the comments so far:
Diane: one of the few times that Olive napped during the day was when I finally put her on her tummy. I checked on her like every 5 minutes and she slept like a champ. I've since tried it again but she screams. I'm glad to know that there was an end to it since both you and Jaren are in one piece.

Beth: that baby sleep mask sounds scary. But I trust you wouldn't put your child in danger. I might take you up on the wrap thing if this Prilosec doesn't do the trick. You are so nice to offer.

Stephanie: I totally read your post about swaddling way back when and even though my oldest 2 HATED to be swaddled, I went ahead and bought the aidan and anais swaddling cloths you recommended. Olive hates to be swaddled too but I love those blankets for so many other reasons/purposes. I do swaddle her lower half but leave her hands free. Thanks for the recommendation on the blankets. I'm in love with them. Totally worth the $.

Keep the advice coming!

Kasey said...

Kylee was totally like that! She hated her tummy, her back, her side~~~sleeping at all during the day. I was so frustrated! I resorted to carrying her in a snuggly. It seemed as long as she had human contact she wasn't screaming. All she wanted to do was be big. 5 months was a huge milestone. I hope something works out before than because it's hard when you can't get anything done during the day when your baby is always crying. Good luck. Really, because I totally feel your pain.

[AnnieR] said...

Five months? FIVE? MONTHS? Gaaaaaah.

MOMMACITA said...

Sawyer has acid reflux. You pretty much described his behavior (only he cried all night ) and it took two different tries with the dosage of the prilosec. He is better now, but not totally..going to see a specialist soon.

It is misery. MISERY. For Mom and baby. And I am SORRY!

Perhaps she misses her Grammie?

Yeah. YoGramma needs to come back.

Shelly said...

Annie, is there anyone who could come over for,say, an hour a day, to hold Olive and let your hands be free? I would be there if I could...every day!

josieposie said...

Sorry, no advice for you... I thought all babies were how you described, at least both of mine were exactly like that. COLIC city!! I still remember driving Ethan around in the car at 2am almost every night trying to get him to sleep. That kid slept more in his car seat than he did in his crib. It's brutal. Oh, and you can remove the SENT FROM MY IPHONE tag line if you want, it's optional.

camie said...

When I didn't think I could survive until the end of the day, I emailed a GREAT friend asking for some wisdom. She gave me some and it is wisdom that I will keep on hand and read weekly if not more often for the next 1 1/2 years because I believe I'm in for it for about that long. I would forward the advice to you, but I think but I would bet that you are all too familiar with it.
With that said, Meredith was a nightmare. I ended up carrying her around in a baby bjourn for FOREVER. She was always a cranky child but at least when she was napping regularly and sleeping through the night I felt like I could survive.
Camille's answer was Zantac for acid reflux. I want to shout that from the rooftops! I love my pediatrician for recommending it just "to try to see if it works".
Three is a HANDFUL. No matter how old your oldest is (people always comment on how the oldest is self sufficient- HA!) they still require attention and have needs. They ARE human beings too and require parenting. Just keep doing what you're doing. Those darling little spirits were sent to you for a reason. You can do it. It WILL get easier.

[alisar] said...

I don't think I've experienced fussy babiness on your level. Caleb was fairly fussy as a baby, but we got it under control with swaddling. The other thing that worked was strapping him in his carseat, and setting him by an open door. He loved the breeze and light - and I could take a few minutes to get things done.

Kristen said...

Everyone had great comments! DianeM made my nearly blow my cereal all over my laptop.

Um... I think the best was getting a friend to come over and hold the baby for an hour or so.... Or you could see if there are any postpartum doulas in the area working on their cert and they would more than likely do it for free or super cheap (and that way you don't feel like 'using' your friends). I'm weird like that - ya know? I have a really hard time asking for help. but i bet you have some ladies around that woud looooove to hold a baby or try to get her to sleep while you napped or got a few things done. I got really good at staving off a baby's hunger until she couldn't last any longer!

Keep trying the swaddling - do the 5 S's: Swaddling, Shushing, Swinging, "side" position, and Sucking.

I love the Happiest Baby on the Block. You're in that icky '4th' trimester stage.

I admit I used the swing and chair - she rarely used the crib much to nap. Or when I couldn't handle it I just put her in my sling. She loves all those still, but at 4 mos she now naps mostly in her crib. You just have to get by at the beginning and once she naps more in the day I bet she's sleep more at night! Weird, but true.

TAke care, Mama. now is the time to call in all your awesome friends and ask for help. It's ok - it's a lifesavor and you'll do it in a heartbeat for them when they need it.

Kristen said...

http://www.thehappiestbaby.com/book_chapters.html

Brandon Bridge said...

I'm afriad I don't have a huge amount of experience...or any advice. Wish we lived closer, I'd love to give you an afternoon off. Plus I'd love to snuggle that little Sweetie.

yomama said...

Really hoping that the medicine works, but I like Mommacita's idea best - if only.
Really think a swing could offer alot of relief for both of you, if the medicine doesn't work.

Kasey said...

Todd loved his swing! I'm with yomomma. Try that. Both my kids liked upright positions.

Side note~~~I know your Olive is going to pick the napping thing up way faster than Kylee. You've already had a better napping day. She's on her way!