Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Roller Girls

Tonight I am taking Ruby out on a date.
A roller skating date.
The last time I went roller skating was a decade ago,
shown here:
This time will be much different. Instead of worrying about which boys are looking at me and which boys are not and why aren't they looking at me? Look at me!!!, I will be worrying about my daughter and her diabetes, her blood glucose level, her falling, knocking her teeth out, will our dental insurance cover it, I'll have to find out what our dental deductible is , and oh! I need to call the insurance to check if we've met our deductible for the year because of Olive's birth, and how is Olive doing, is she crying?, is Go having to hold her and not able to study?, he needs to study, residency is so hard, why does it have to be this demanding? I can't wait until residency is over, but then real life will hit and we'll have to start a practice. Where will that be? What crazy amount of money will that take? Certainly money we don't have. Where will we get it? How will we pay for a roof over our head and food to eat in the meantime before the practice gets on its feet? I have to feed my children. How many children will I have? Will any of the other girls have diabetes? I don't know if I can handle much more than the ones I have. How are the ones at home doing? Is Olive hungry? Is May hungry? Did she get enough to eat at dinner? Is she coloring all over her duvet cover again? That's another load of laundry I'll have to do. Oh, crap! I left the stuff in the washing machine again. It'll mildew for sure...

But really, I'd like to just go and have fun with Ruby and feel 18 again, without a care in the world. And without the boy craziness, of course.

12 comments:

Aby Runyan said...

Then go and forget all that other stuff for a couple hours - you can do it. I feel quite certain that the sight of those amazingly cute cheeks and blond hair circling around the rink will take all your worries away.
Stop worrying so much anyway, GEEZ!

extra luvs to a new mom of 3 from an "old" mom of 3, aby

PS - I think for my next kid date with Capri I will definitely be suggesting roller skating.

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

Love the "good ol' days" pic. Love the date idea. Caitlyn would LOVE it if I did that with her. My mind works and worries the same way. I hear ya. I hope you both have fun!! That nursing clock is hard to beat sometimes...this is so fun that you can sneak away for a bit. It may be one of those things Ruby always remembers! She will love it! Can't wait to see pics and hear stories! Enjoy!

Kasey said...

Isn't that the truth! 18 was easy! This being a responsible adult thing is tiresome...in the head!

[BrookeO] said...

I think I swam around in your head today. Why do these thoughts go 'round and 'round? Have so much fun tonight! Love that you are doing a date night.

yomama said...

The biggest trick in the world is not to be thinking/worrying about those other things at such an important event as alone time with your daughter.
The second biggest trick is that if your mind does start down those paths, that she never know and that from all appearances (absence of texting/phoning/emailing, and totally just focused on her - how often does a kid get that?) your thoughts, smiles and conversation are only for her during that little time. Can't wait to hear aobut it!

Brandon Bridge said...

Ok, so I thought I was the only one that worried so much. Seriously how care free was 18? Sheesh. Have fun rollerskating!

bethany said...

That sounds fun Annie-love the picture...I often miss those days :)

[alisar] said...

I remember getting asked to "slow skate" at the roller rink. Hold hands, try not to eat it on the turns. Doesn't get much better than that.

hoday said...

Seriously. How do you have pictures from 10 years ago!? I can't find them from 2 years ago!

Audra Bollard said...

I will forgive you for posting that picture since it is such a fun memory. I think that night was the start of our true Northwoods girl bonding . . . and lots of what I now realize were totally carefree worries.

Have fun!

Meredith said...

I remember once I went roller skating my freshman year of college with Lani Gates and it turned out to be this Irvine reunion. Robbie Haglund was there wearing skin tight -- no, PAINTED ON white bell bottoms. Just throwin that out there. I hope it was all you wanted. I was sending carefree vibes out toward PA, but it was probably hours after you were home, so...there ya go. If they didn't work, that's why.

Kristen said...

Hang in there - I hope you had a wonderful time with Ruby. Did you have to Charmin up your backside???