Friday, March 06, 2009

I Prefer Apples & Cinnamon over Peaches & Cream

We really try to limit the amount of TV our kids watch. Go likes to tell them that it turns their brain to oatmeal.

I think since a lot of parents also feel this way, the makers of kid TV try to make shows more inter-active-- Jo-Jo's Circus, Little Einsteins and the like, where someone's always enthusiastically demanding things like "Now stand up!", "Say "Andalé! Louder!", "Hop on one foot!", "Now clap your hands! Faster! Faster!"...


Do your kids actually DO any of these things or do they just continue to sit there in an oatmeal-for-brains stupor like mine do?

10 comments:

MOMMACITA said...

When watching reality tv, I usually interact by verbal mocking. I do it if I'm alone, but especially if I'm with another mocker. I think I would kind of like it if someone were to say Aundelay! Faster! Louder! I think the extra pressure would make my mocking even mockier. And that can only be a good thing if you are watching the Bachelor. Or American Idol. Or America's Next top Model. Or Anything with Tyra Banks.

So I'm all for the interactive TV. You can't go wrong.

MOMMACITA said...

I'm also down with mocking the great and powerful Oprah Winfrey. Oh, how I wish she could hear me.

Kristen said...

That, "Louder!" thing really chaps my hide.

Jennifer said...

Mostly they sit there, except with Super Why. Keoni likes to answer before they do. Other than that, they only interact if I tell them to. Then if they don't, I just turn it off. I feel like if they're not going to actually interact with these interactive shows, then why the crap are they watching them.

Julie said...

Grace gets the glass eyes, total mush brain. I am TOTALLY with Kristen on that. And Dora never even says "Please or thank you". She really chaps my hide. I've banned her.

Aby Runyan said...

Eh, whatever. If they don't want to do all they're ordered to do on cartoons then that's just fine with me. I mean, it is TV after all. I don't see us adults "interacting" with the shows we watch. I figure that kids move, play, run around, etc., more in their normal daily activities than most adults do in a year.

luvs, aby

PS - I'm a maple and brown sugar kind of gal (with raisins of course).

Wendy said...

My kids actually do what Dora tells them. Tess counted in Spanish long before English. Sad, I know.

Now if I could only get them to listen to me like that...

KatieB said...

my girls mostly sit in the stupor. once in a while i hear rylee following a command. they have, however, taken to dancing the hot dog dance at the end of mickey mouse clubhouse. i find this very important as they will be using these future dance skills at night in the cannon center someday with their new bffs.

leigh said...

hey annie,
your giving birth this week. that is neat. My thoughts will be with you.

elizabeth said...

my kids are extremely trusting and gullible like me so of course they do what animated cartoon characters tell them to do!

i'm sending you all my love especially for your birthing this week. may it be quick and easy. (oh please oh please!)