I was given an assignment by Go's cousin Aby to post in how we arrived at Olive's name and our other girls' as well. Her assignment couldn't have come at a better time since all I do is nurse my child--every two hours since she isn't gaining weight the way she should. A full feeding for my sleepy, sleepy child usually takes about 45 minutes, so I really don't do anything but nurse, nurse and nurse. And remote blog. I want my life back. Anyway, so I am welcoming any other blogging assignments anyone may have as it gives me something to do while I just sit there. And sit there.
So this is how it went all three times with naming our babies:
(About 3 weeks before the baby is to be born:)
Me: Hey, I wrote down a bunch of names I like.
Go: Oh, yah? Is Magdelena on there?
Me: NO!
Go: Why not?!!! I love that name. It just sounds so beautiful. Magdelena. Magdelena.
Me: I hate it. Here, look at my list and circle the ones you like.
Go: All right.
And we just kind of go from there; we usually like one the best and usually it is the same one. I noticed I tend to like names that invoke some sort of visual or feeling. Ruby--a gem/color. May--a very pleasant month. Olive--um...an olive...
The ruby is my birthstone and at the time, red was my favorite color so the name just spoke to me. Grace is her middle name, which is my Dad's great-aunt. She visited our family once when I was about 8 or so and stayed in my room. As a thank you, she gave me the only music box I've
ever owned and wrote me a letter shortly after she left; I was so excited to get something in the mail. I really liked her and the name as well. So that's how we got Ruby Grace.
For May, we were thinking Olivia May but wanted something more original. When Go suggested we switch it to May Olivia, it was lightening had struck--I knew that would be her name. May is Go's mom's and aunt's middle name. And now most people call her May-May, which is funny because that's how you say "little sister" in Mandarin Chinese. Since I taught art lessons at an art school with a predominately Taiwanese client base for about three years in high school, and really loved the kids and my time there, there's a special place on my heart for all things
Asian or Asian-inspired. So that's been cool.
Now Olive, we had a tougher time with. I hardly liked any names to begin with, but it was on the list. We both loved it, especially paired with Adeline, which was my Mom's great-aunt who she loved. We had second thoughts, however, after we told May we were thinking of the name Olive for her new baby sister and she said "OLIVE? No! We
should name her PICKLE!" Would she get teased for her name? Would she hate us? Or would it make her stronger and help teach her to have a sense of humor? After going back and forth, it really came down to the fact that it was the only name we both liked and we could totally picture a little Olive with our Ruby and May. And it totally fits her. We made the right decision.
So there you go. That wasn't that entertaining or funny of a post. I feel pressure now that Beth nominated me for Funniest Blogger. Hm. How can I make this post more funny? Would it be funnier if I admitted that most of the conversations Go and I had regarding names were when one of us was on the toilet? Nah, that'd just be gross.
I have completed my assignment. I'm up for more. Lay it on me, bloggy friends.
Sent from my iPhone
11 comments:
Whaddya mean NOT funny? I think the Magdalene part was pretty great. I can totally picture that conversation.
Thanks for answering the call and doing your homework - really this is one of my most favorite subjects.
luvs, aby
I love talking baby names...so thank-you for sharing! I love your names too by the way.
I normally don't post. I'm a silent reader. But I felt I should add my 2 cents in this case. Regarding our names. You may have noticed my wife refers to me as Go. Irrespective of what most people think, this name has nothing to do with the word. I have alway just felt it fit me. I aim for names that fit my children even if they may have to give a boring answer for the rest of their lives regarding where their unusual name came from.
1. I love that Go used the word irrespective
2. pretty soon you'll probably start walking around while your breastfeeding just to get a few things done
3. i didn't know ruby's middle name was grace, that's izzy's too because while i was sitting at my grandmother's house waiting for a hospital bed to be available so that i could get induced i looked at a family history document and saw that her middle name, and pretty much everyone before her for quite a few generations had it as a middle name, so that's when i decided on that.
Go - I thought "Go" came from you being called "Go-Go" when you were little, or something along those lines. I have memories calling you this (along with EVERY other member of the family), are you really trying to say you just made it up??
luvs, aby
Mommacita was on the paper, right?
I really like that you used family names-I always think that it is nice for the kids to have ties to their past that way.
You're still the funniest.
Thanks for sharing. I love knowing the reasons why people choose the names they do. Sometimes it makes more sense.
I have a freind named
Agnes Reynolds. She had her baby girl right before you had Miss Olive. She was teetering on Ruby for her new baby. I told her that's what you named your little girl and how cute it is and how much it fits her. Now I know 2 Ruby Reynolds. It totally fits her little girl. Maybe it's a Reynolds thing...
Hmmm. I think I like you being stuck in that glider. It gives you plenty of time to satisfy your fans with hilarious/informative posts. Keep nursing Olive!!! Keep your mom stuck in that chair!
You are funny. Beth was right. I am excited to read more of your funny posts. And LOVE the children's names.
I also remember that Lucy was a front runner for Ruby's name and even after she was born and her name was Ruby I had to quick double check in my head that it was Ruby and NOT Lucy.... I like Lucy too, but she's definitely a Ruby!
I wish I had a cool name story for myself - but my parents just liked Kristen, didn't come from anything. My Dad had to call my mom a few days after I was born because he was at an airforce base for some training and wanted to buy me something with my name on it from the BX (Base Exchange) and he couldn't remember how to spell it correctly. I also thought it funny that had I been a boy my name would have been Jeffrey. That trips me out.
So there you go - some nursing fodder for you!
Post a Comment