Though I'm pretty removed from it here in PA, I still am very aware of Prop 8 going on in CA. If voted in, Prop 8 would protect the definition of marriage--that is it between a man and a woman. When I first heard of this, not really knowing all the details, I just rolled my eyes and thought "Who cares? Let whoever wants to get married just get married. Big deal. I don't agree with same-sex marriage but if homosexuals marry, it really doesn't effect anything I do or believe, so why not?" What I didn't realize is that it does effect me. What I believe marriage should be-- a union between a man and woman--is no longer being protected. I was given an example of a fertility doctor who was approached by a same-sex couple wanting fertility treatments. The doctor said that because of his beliefs, he would not treat him but referred them to his business partner, who shared the same office, staff, billing, etc. The couple sued the doctor and won. Excuse me? What happened to protecting the doctor's rights to choose who he treats? What about his beliefs? After hearing this and many other examples such as this, I stopped rolling my eyes and started to listen. This isn't an issue dealing with homosexuality vs. heterosexuality. It's about protecting the right and freedom to believe that marriage between a man and woman is something worth protecting.
Californians, vote yes on Prop 8.
13 comments:
amen, sista.
Wonderfully put, Annie!
I've also seen YouTubes where parents are saying that ALREADY, their children are coming home talking about how so-and-so has two moms or two dads. Another had a set of parents who had their son come home, and recount phrases from a book about a prince who marries a prince. Their son, of course, thought it was just a "silly story". He didn't get the true magnitude of what he was being fed by his teacher, whom he fully trusts.
Thanks for the post, I'm going to post a link from my page to yours for people to read. It needs to be heard.
One of the biggest issues is what lcfrohm introduced and that is if Prop 8 fails, and same sex marriage becomes the law, the law will also mandate that same sex marriage be taught equally with traditional marriage, starting as early as kindergarten. Apparently California curriculum requires that marriage be taught starting that young.
Another big issue is that California law already provides that domestic partnerships enjoy the same rights as married couples. No rights by same sex couples will be changed or lost if Prop 8 passes. It will simply prevent any union other than between one man and one woman, from being considered a marriage.
Very well stated!
First off, I don't mean to stir the pot. I suppose if some agree that there also have to be some to disagree, and I will take the minority view of those who read this blog where I believe marriage should be between two people who love each other.
Go back a few decades and remember laws were on the books to keep different races from intermarrying. I have a feeling decades from now our children's children will be baffled on how the homosexual issue was an issue at all. I know that's a horror to quite a few people (including my parents) but where I think it will go.
I teach my children to love people for who they are and that's true even if they have two dads or two moms. I don't make a big deal out of it, nor do I make a big deal out of a mom and dad unit either.
However, I can't say I understand where schools are teaching the family unit, one way or another. I have yet to hear from my son or step-daughter. But then again our school district can't sing Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer or Frosty the Snowman because it mentions Christmas in the lyrics....who knows?
If same-sex marriage is kept as the law in California, then churches which do not treat same sex marriage as equal to traditional marriage will be accused of discrimination and could lose their tax exempt status. Also, adoption agencies that refuse to adopt to same-sex couples will be sued.
Vote yes on Prop 8.
For me, protecting marriage has to do with my religion. I believe marriage is a holy union, sanctioned by our Creator, and that it should be between a man and a woman only. I do not support legalizing same sex marriage.
I do support legislation which would allow additional civil rights to same sex couples (i.e. health care benefits & other legal rights traditionally reserved for spouses).
But I am adamantly protective of the institution of marriage. Yes to Prop 8.
I love so many things and I have been told " so if you love it so much way don't to marry it" I would married my dog. Maybe if i wate a few years I can marry my dog. do you think he will wait for me? or my car? I want to marry the Boston Red sox.
I was thinking the same thing as the person above. If they allow gay marriage, then in my opinion they have to open all other forms of marriages. "Why can't I marry who I love." That would include animals, plural marriages, anything! And as far as the suing thing, If gay people want straight people to accept them and their beliefs, they need to accept others beliefs as well.
Let me just say that I think that it is so funny how many anonymous comments this one got. Anyway, I just gotta say Amen to the last anonymous commenter who said that part about gay couples suing doctors who won't provide for them. It's true. What makes the doctors beliefs less valuable than the couple? Dumb. I hope you will post the results, just in case I miss it in the news or something.
If we want to protect God's laws, we cannot always be politically correct or anonymous. Thank you for your post!
YEA! LET FREEDOM RING! (for straight people duh)
Thanks for being bold and posting about this. We need all the support we can get over here in Cali. I read on average 8 to 12 different e-mails/articles/blogs a day about this issue and I don't think most people have any clue as to how big this issue will be for our society. If it fails in CA, it will be coming the way of the whole nation soon enough.
Post a Comment