Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Trying to Sleep in the Bed I Was Born In

Even though my last name has been Reynolds for awhile now, which didn't take long to get used to, I am still most definitely a Garlock. This means several things:

-I have blonde hair. I really do. If I still lived in CA, I wouldn't have to highlight it but since I leave on the East coast, I have to just so that I can feel like me. Getting back to my point: I'd say 98% of my big Garlock family is blonde.
-I have a sense of humor, sometimes a morbid one.
-I can flare my nostrils like nobody's business.
-I have wide feet.
-I have like 80 Garlock Family reunion t-shirts.
-I can beat you at Nertz. With my eyes closed. Unless you're also a Garlock, then I'd have to beat you with my eyes open.
-I'm an excellent trash talker. Please see above.
-I have A.D.D.

It's taken me almost 3 decades, but over the years I've found ways to let this last attribute that afflicts a good part (and THE good part, if you ask me) of my family work towards my advantage rather then work against me.

We folks with A.D.D. have a lot of energy. If I can get through tasks and projects quickly, I can get a lot done: many tasks/projects are condensed into long bursts of energy and I'm always doing something because I can't sit still. It's when I have to work on just one task/project that takes a lot of time when I get in trouble and distracted because there's always something much more exciting and interesting waiting in the side lines. Because of this, we A.D.D.ers also have a lot of interests.

I've talked about opening an Etsy shop several times on this blog, claiming that it will be open soon. But to tell you the truth, I've hit a wall. And it has the letters "A", "D" and "D" graffiti ed on it, much like something you'd see during the opening credits of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air: Slanted, square and in neon colors. Then littered on the ground beside the wall are all of my ideas and unfinished things, just waiting for me to decide which ones to pick up and finish. Sitting high, high, high, on top of that wall, right next to Humpty Dumpty who is wearing M.C. Hammer pants and wrap-around Oakleys, are all the the other possibilities I want to do with my shop but cannot due to time and/or money. But mostly, I just can't focus. This is one of those times that A.D.D. is majorly hindering any success I could have. There are just so many things I want to do but I can't finish anything all the way and really I just can't decide which direction to go. I'm having issues. And I can't sleep. I woke up at 3:30 a.m. and have been up ever since thinking about this. You may be reading this and saying "Then why open a freaking Etsy shop? Chillax. Obviously this isn't for you." I know, right? But how else am I supposed to get my hands on some cash to highlight my East coast dark roots? Hmmm?

Did I mention I've been up since 3:30 am?

-drawing!
-painting!
-guitar!
-knitting!
-crocheting!
-reading!
-yoga!
-photography!
-origami!
-spinning!
-running!
-swimming!
-piano!
-drumming!
-weight training!
-felting!
-bookbinding!
-weaving!
-gardening!
-sculpture!
-jewelry making!
-sewing!
-writing!
-learning!
-kayaking!
-etch-a-sketch!
-dog sled racing!
-mind reading!
-walking through walls!
-splitting atoms!
-finding a cure for insomnia!
-finding a cure for A.D.D!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, things make alot of sense now. ;) I have totally the opposite of ADD I think. I could sit for hours doing nothing, and be fine with it. Actually I'm not because there is always SO much to be done. I think pregnancy doesn't help this whole situation either.

Tam said...

i'm with melanie. i don't have any trouble just sitting except the nagging feeling that i know i shouldn't be. i wish i had overflowing thoughts and ideas...anything really. but at least you know that what ever you are able to tackle to the end will turn out incredible.

camie said...

PLEASE find a cure for insomnia. I'm SO tired.

Anonymous said...

Yay,just found out I have ADD.I always start projects but never finish them before starting on another.It's funny how exciting the next project seems and then you start it.ADD also sounds better than laziness:).

Holly said...

i couldn't even get through your list because of my a.d.d.

in fact it's hard for me to even finish commenting here on your blog because

[AnnieR] said...

Holly, can we be pretend best friends?

Graham Fam said...

Okay! It's been way too long since I've checked your blog and you crack me up. I'm totally impressed with your list of things you can accomplish. Maybe ADD isn't a bad thing. Chad has it too and I wonder how he got through law school on it. We are getting Lorelei tested for it next month. Who knows I can't sit still especially if I know I have something on my to do list or have something to clean or call, I think my problem is more like OCD. Good luck. You are too cute.

Graham Fam said...

Now That I've read through your blog. I'm laughing and fill complete. First of all, Congrats on being preggo! That is fantastic and I loved the interview with Barbara! Hope you are feeling okay. Loving all the crazy pictures and posts. You rock!

Holly said...

i think we should become pen pals. old skool.

Hansen Family said...

Annie I just woke up and you already made me tired:)You will always seem to amaze me:)