Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Growing Up Very UnHalloweeny Part One

I grew up in a home with a mother who never liked anything about Halloween. Ask her and she’ll give you like 18 reasons. She made some attempts in my preschool years but now when I picture her at the sewing machine working on a costume, she is swearing like a sailor, which is odd because the most foul thing I've ever heard from her mouth is "Crap-ola." I hold no resentment for her hatred of Halloween. I side with her attitude and I think I got as much candy as any other kid who wore an elaborate costume. But really, because I was forced to come up with something on my own, my costumes were for the most part, super lame. I think the most creative I ever got was in fifth grade when I cut out holes for my head and arms in a black trash bag, squeezed into purple tights I had left over from a gymnastic recital three years prior and said I was a raisin. My brothers followed suit in this lackadaisical attitude toward the holiday, and wore their soccer uniforms out trick-or-treating almost every year. (Joe, why don't I have a soccer picture of you?)

So needless to say, actually taking the time to make my girls strawberry outfits is really stretching for me.

My First Halloween. I did not start out very strong:


Here are the few "golden years" when my Mom actually tried and to her credit, they're pretty cute.

Little Red Riding Hood.

A Fairy. See the look on my mom's face? Total disgruntlement. See that look on my face? That's my game face. I wanted to win for "Prettiest Costume"...and I did. See that lady standing next to me in a strawberry costume? (What a copy cat.) She should have worn some shorts.
A clown. Yikes.
This is where my Mom gave up completely. I am a "Pretty Lady", wearing make up and some things from our dress up box, which is an old night gown and a belt. And John in the unfortunate recycled clown costume.
After this, I believe my Mom stopped bothering even taking our pictures. There's a three year gap between when the above picture was taken and the below picture was taken, because this photo was actually shot on my 8th birthday for my Hawaiian Luau birthday party in July. And then I wore the mu mu again that Halloween and was "A Hawaiian Lady."
Then I was a gypsy for a couple of years after that. Put on a skirt, throw a bandanna on my head, and find some bracelets, I’m good.

16 comments:

KatieB said...

that lady really should have worn some shorts with that! loved the halloween recaps! i just buy costumes. it's easier that way.

Kasey said...

It kills me how much our dads do look a like! Right down to the hook stache!

Kasey said...

and I buy costumes too because I'm Miss Lazy pants! Last year I borrowed Todd's. That was super easy!

Meredith said...

ruby looks so much like you in that little red riding hood picture!

and my favorite easy squeezy halloween costume is wear normal clothes and tape a sign to your shirt that says, "nudist on strike".

bethany said...

It's funny because my mother is the COMPLETE opposite-she LOVES Halloween and our costumes growing up represent that. In fact, she hates Christmas...who hates Christmas?!?

My mom that's who.

BTW-I sincerely hope that woman is not at a ward party in an extremely short strawberry costume. You CA Mormons are SOOOO liberal.

[AnnieR] said...

beth, it gives me great delight to inform you that the photo was taken while we were living in HOUSTON, TEXAS.

Juls said...

My mom LOVED Halloween, I HATE it. My poor kids will be writing a blog post just like this in 20 years!

I don't even like to buy costumes because 3 kids plus $15 is a lot of money for something I totally disagree with. I just borrow a costume from someone who cares (like YOU...man I am IMPRESSED!) So that my kids won't hate me too much.

MOMMACITA said...

Um, I can't believe I'm the first to say this:

HUBBA HUBBA YOMAMMA: Enjoyed seeing your nightie. And I definately remember seeing that mumu sometime somewhere before. Wasn't it also a shirt that was worn with Dr. Scholl's sandals that had the wooden soles? Probably red?

Mrs. Cheapy Pants: Do not waste time making stawberrys. Haul out worn out honeymoon atire. Cheap, and will be sure to sastify your kids and the neighborhood.

camie said...

My stomach hurts. Thank you.

Lucy said...

Oh my - we have the same childhood halloween memories. I can only remember having a pre-packaged costume once - I was the peach girl from strawberry shortcake. The mask made me sweaty and the plastic outfit was hard to walk in.

I also wore my mother's old prom dress one year, my older sister's miniskirt the year I was a punk rocker, a recycled clown outfit, a cowboy hat and mascara on my face when I was a cowgirl and a silk robe the year I went as a china man.

We also dressed up in my mother's honeymoon lingerie. It was yellow chiffon and I felt beautiful. But i didn't have a belt. You've got me on that one.

Beth said...

I believe that my mom was also not really one for Halloween costumes either. I only remember having a couple of actual costumes. Mike and I were Punk Rockers for years, which basically meant that we sprayed our hair different colors. My favorite though was the year that Mike went as a "Natural Man". Seriously. He just went out in his regular clothes. That is the kind of creativity we have in our family.

Anonymous said...

Okay - my sleeves are rolled up. Can we just clarify one thing? Are you complaining? Do you see how happy you look in each picture?
Except of course in the Houston Tx one, but for obvious reasons...and in Beth's defense - it was a neighborhood party.
Another clarification - that black trashbag costume that you came up with on your own mind you, not because you were forced to, but because who in 5th grade wants their mom telling them what to be for Halloween?
I remember the conversations something like this:
Most beautiful mother in the world:
"Sweetie, what do you want to be for Halloween?"
Practically perfect child of most beautiful mother in the world: ...whatever the choice would be.
MBMITW: (If the child was 8 years old or younger) "Well, let's see how we can make that happen..." and then said mother would make it happen. (If the child was 9 years old or older, that child wanted to get it together themselves) "Go for it!"
And another clarification so your readers know how hip you were in
5th grade - it was a California Raisen as seen in commercials on TV.
And one more - please take note that I never allowed my children to trick or treat in their regular clothes, something at least one of my children wanted to do several years in a row, so instead of encumbering them with an elaborate costume, I allowed them to choose the team uniform of their choice - something they were already comfortable with and everyone was happy. Trick or treating in your regular clothes is simply begging door to door, something I reserved for your dad and I.

[AnnieR] said...

Mom, did you not read my post? And I quote:
"I hold no resentment for her hatred of Halloween. I side with her attitude and I think I got as much candy as any other kid who wore an elaborate costume."

Not complaining in the least. Roll those sleeves down. I know you must be cold.

[alisar] said...

Do you think your mom would adopt me? I'm going to send her the papers.

bethany said...

Dang Texans.

Holly said...

hey my mom was a california raisen too. (wow, raisen really looks like it's spelled wrong, and raisin looks better, but not right either and i'm too lazy right now to check at dictionary.com)

anyway, what i wanted to comment about was that everyone in my family (girls and boys) all wore the same "hobo" costume from our costume box. and all us girls took turns (when the costume happened to fit us) being a gypsy, an indian, and cinderella. HOWEVER, the cinderella costume was basically an old skirt with patches and therefore, we were the raggedy cinderella. it was not very glamorous.

i must be so tired because i'm realizing as i'm typing this that i am totally rambling on about my family and i don't know you and you don't know me or my family (and consequently how totally awesome we are). and if i wasn't so tired, i would just not post this comment, but after all this typing i can't bring myself to do so.

let's see...what else can i ramble on about? i just have to tell you that i really enjoy reading your blog and you are a funny girl, and your daughters are gorgeous.

i'm hoping that none of your readers read this comment, since it's not the latest and greatest post anyway. because oh my gosh, that would be so embarrassing.

oh, and besides being friends with melissa white, i also know jill tew.

ok, that's all. please don't think i'm crazy.