In Go's family, if you are one of the eight sons, you fall into either one category or the other: You are either "cranky" or "cheesy". It was not me who came up with these labels but I would agree with the generalization. Though I wouldn't go around calling my husband and his brothers "cranky people" or "cheesy people" per say, but I would use them for easy blanket terms. Go falls into the "cranky" category. Like I said, I wouldn't describe him as cranky, just outspoken about what he thinks and how he feels in situations.
It is a known phenomenon within Go's family that the "cranky" brothers are superbly nicey-nicey in the middle of the night when woken up or getting tired. And the "cheesy" brothers turn very irritable at night when sleepy or woken up.
Here is an example of the nicey-niceyness of my "cranky-during-the-day" husband this morning at 4 am when he found me downstairs, awake and on the computer. Side note: I'd fall into an entirely different category, seeing as I'm not a blood-Reynolds, which is cranky-during-the-day and even-more-cranky-in-the-middle-of-the-night.
Go: Sweetie. What are you doing?
Annie: Baking a pie. What does it look like I'm doing?
Go: Why are you awake?
Annie: Because I just love being awake at 4 am. Go, I've been awake since 2.
Go: I know. You've been tossing and turning. What's wrong, babe?
Annie: I just can't get comfortable and my body hurts.
Go: I'm sorry. Here, let me get you some ibuprofen.
Annie: I can't. I'm pregnant, remember?
Go: I meant Tylenol.
Annie: I just took some. It hasn't kicked in yet.
Go: Come back to bed. I miss you.
Annie: I will when I feel like it.
Go: I just don't want you to be tired tomorrow.
Annie: And I cannot wait to be tired tomorrow. It's going to be awesome!
Go: Will you please just come back to bed, sweetie?
Annie: (growl) Fine.
If this conversation was to take place during the day with my "cranky" husband, it would have gone something like this:
Go: Hey, what are you doing?
Annie: What does it look like I'm doing?
Go: Why are you on the computer and not in bed trying to fall asleep?
Annie: I can't sleep.
Go: I know. You've totally been keeping me up. What's up with you?
Annie: I just can't get comfortable and my body hurts.
Go: Well, did you take some ibuprofen?
Annie: I can't. I'm pregnant, remember?
Go: I meant Tylenol.
Annie: I just took some. It hasn't kicked in yet.
Go: Come back to bed. You can't fall asleep at the computer.
Annie: I will when I feel like it.
Go: You're going to be cranky tomorrow.
Annie: No I won't.
Go: Hm. I disagree. Will you just come back to bed, please?
Annie: Fine.
And you know what? I was right. I'm cranky this morning and it IS awesome!
8 comments:
red rover red rover, send May right over
I'd love your recipe for pie that can be assembled while sitting at a computer.
Calcium, I'm telling you. Right before you go to bed...or at 2 in the morning if need be.
It's no sleeping pill, but it sure helps and your body probably needs it anyway.
Um. Hello. Gilmore Girls.
That was Mommacita telling you to cure insomnia with Gilmore Girls.
Geeze. I can't get used to this roomate deal.
I think I can guess who falls into which category, but I still must request a list of who falls into which.
luvs, aby
PS - I wish Jeff would pick a time to be cranky, lately he's a pain both day and night!
Aby,
I will give you a clue: it is also called the "every other brother" phenomenon.
Hmmmm. Mine would blink at me a few times, scratch his head and mumble, "waddyadoin?" and then go back to bed without hearing my answer. I don't know what category that goes in.
Post a Comment