Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Tour de Cure


Saturday, March 31st is the National Tour de Cure day. Gold's Gyms and other places around the nation will be participating in this event organized by the American Diabetes Assocation. I am voluteering as a spin instructor for part of the day on Saturday at our Gold's in Hershey. I am tempted to wear a big pin with this sweet face on it.

I am excited to be able to contribute to this cause somehow. I heard recently about a little girl back in Iowa younger than Ruby that was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago. My heart hurt for her and her family as I knew what they were going through and the feelings that poor young mother was having. She would be mourning the death of normalcy, trying to get a grip and figure this whole disease out without getting too freaked out, get as educated as she could as fast as she could and try to be brave and fake smiles when her newly diagnosed daughter looked to her for strength and comfort. This disease has changed our whole family's life. This is what a normal day entails for Ruby:
-Ruby wakes up and immediately needs to eat.
-I check her blood glucose levels, which involves poking her finger to get a drop of blood. I check these to determine what dosage of insulin she needs.
-She gets a shot of insulin, usually in her little bum which is now covered with little scars.
-She eats breakfast after I measure out all of her food so that she gets exactly 40 grams of carbohydrates. No more, no less. We now have several sets of measuring cups at our house.
-She gets a snack exactly 2 hours after breakfast to help the insulin tie her over until lunch.
-Two hours later at lunch we do the 2 pokes - the blood glucose check and the insulin injection again, and she received another 40 grams of carbohydrates.
-She gets a snack exactly 2 hours after lunch again.
-Two hours later at dinner, we do the same 2 pokes again, glucose check and injection and she gets another 40 grams of carbs
-Two hours after that, right before she goes to bed, I check her glucose levels again and she receives her last shot of the day, followed by a fatty, carby snack to hold her over at night
-For the first several months, we'd have to check her at midnight and at 3-4 am to make sure her glucose levels were ok. It was like having a newborn again. Thankfully that part is over.
But our lives have changed in many other ways other than the constant poking, the blood, the regimented diet and timing of meals, etc.
-Ruby now wears this medical bracelet with the word "DIABETES" embossed on it. It never comes off.

In the corner of our kitchen is a "sharps" dispenser - usually an old milk carton. Very lovely.
She must always be in some kind of organized sport or activity, to encourage her to have a healthy and active lifestyle. Activity keeps her levels where they should be. So far we've switched off between gymnastics and swimming lessons.
We have many sugar free/low carb foods around the house. Here is Ruby enjoying a sugar-free popcicle.

-Insulin is a growth hormone, so my tall girl is even taller than she normally would be.
-Her behavior is very dependent on her blood glucose levels. When she is acting naughty naughty, she is usually high. Constant high levels leads to problems later on like kidney failure, lost limbs, etc. When she is acting tired and whiny, she is usually low. Lows have a more immediate cause to worry - seizures, comas, etc. Needless to say, to keep her healthy, we have to run a tight ship. It is challenging though, when she starts acting up--is she really to blame? It's a hard thing to deal with.
-I carry the following things with me wherever I go: Blood glucose monitor, insulin, syringes, glucagon pen, glucose gel, and candy - all in case of emergencies. I've had to use everything but the glucagon pen. Let's hope I never have to use that - that is a last resort, if she was unconscious and couldn't swallow. I have to assume it will happen one day, so I will be ready.
-I never noticed how much candy she got offered before - at the store, at the mall, at the gym, at Church, etc. She is so good about it and always says "No. Sorry, I can't. I have Diabetes." With her lisp, it's even cuter. "Di-ah-bee-thee-th."
-At birthday parties, church functions, etc where desserts are served, I usually have to bring something else for her to eat instead. And she's always excited. "A sugar-free Jello cup! Oh boy!" She's so so good about it. She is my hero.
So if you're inclined to participate in a good cause this weekend, consider the Tour de Cure Spin-a-Thon. That's where I'll be.
In other news, I finished the underwater mural! Cash money millionaire!

8 comments:

bethany said...

Wow-I had no idea it was so serious! I guess I just am not as familiar with diabetes as I should be. I had a couple of students with diabetes, but that's really the only contact I've had with it. You are a good good woman!!

KatieB said...

thanks for the education. our health cause has always been cystic fibrosis because i had a good friend pass away from it, but i'm happy to take on another! i can't believe ruby is so good about her diet and so obedient with her food limitations. what a blessing! and thank goodness you have such good access to a doctor...

Audra Bollard said...

It's amazing what kinds of things you can do when your child is in need--never underestimate the power of a mom on a mission!! You are my hero Annie because you are the perfect mom to keep Ruby healthy and happy.

My favorite part of the mural is the turtles--you did their heads perfectly! Loved it!

Kristen said...

You rock!!! I had my fun with diabetes for a few months and that is enough for me. It was hard for a 28 year old, can't imagine how tough as a mother of a child. Thank God for insulin and let's keep working and praying for a cure! Do you know when/if she can get an insulin pump?

I know i've said it b4, but you are a great Mom! And I love the mural too!

[alisar] said...

Poor Rubs. I don't pretend to understand why/how different bodies have to deal with different problems. But she has always had her mommy's strong spirit about her - I know she'll never let it get in her way.
Cool mural!

Melissa said...

Wow, Annie, thank you for posting that, what an eye opener! Ruby sounds like an amazing kid and you are doing an awesome job. That is such a trial I am sure. (I love the turtles in the mural, too.)

Emily said...

Annie, you are an awesome mom. And tell Ruby she's as awesome kid. Thanks for posting this...I never really understood all that went into having diabetes and how it effected your (and your family's) everyday life. We love and miss you guys.

The mural looks great! After law school, and once we can afford a nice big ol' house (so in about a hundred years), will you please come and share some of your artistic talent? I'd love an Annie Reynolds original.

Jessie Riley said...

You are amazing. In every way.
Thanks for letting us into your day to day life, such an eye opener.

That mural is so fun!