Friday, March 23, 2007

My Playlist

Go has always gotten a kick out of how fast/often I can recognize a song, who sings it, etc. I can do this because for my entire life when driving in the car with my Dad, we would listen to the radio and he'd say "Who's this, Bean?" and if I didn't know it, he'd say "Yah, you do. Just listen to that guitar." or "Listen to the raspyness of his voice, who is that?" And we'd break the whole song down until I got it. If I went to parties, it would be my party trick. I would smoke everyone. So, a couple of years ago, Go made up this game: he would get on the computer and I would lay down on a nearby couch and angle myself so I couldn't see the computer screen. He would then go to the iTunes website, go to a celebrity's playlist, play each song and see how fast I could come up with the name and artist. Then after doing the entire playlist, I would have to guess who's playlist it was. It's great fun. Anyway, so we like the celebrity playlists. The celebrity often posts reasons why the song is in the playlist, etc. So just for toots, this is my playlist. It's not made up of any of our new and exciting music, I just chose 25 songs that I never get tired of and doubt I ever will.

1. "Dock of the Bay" – Otis Redding: "If I absolutely had to pick my all time favorite song, this would be it."

2. "Bruised" – The Bens: "Because of the way Ben sings the following lyrics: "I went because you said you’d be there, A box of candy, Smoke in your hair. I didn’t know, I didn’t care."

3. "Oh What a Night" – Four Seasons: "If someone pulled a gun to my head and made me karaoke, this is the song I’d sing."

4. "Ohio" – Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young: "The build up of the first 25 seconds of the song, I could listen to it over and over."

5. "You’re Cover’s Blown" – Belle and Sebastian: "This song was made to groove to."

6. "Read My Mind" – The Killers: "There’s something very bittersweet about this song. It gets to me."

7. "I’ve Just Seen a Face" – The Beatles: "The perfect song to dance to with my two little girls."

8. "Song 2" – Blur: "Woo-hoo!"

9. "Girl" – Beck: "Has all the key elements of a good Beck song."

10. "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" - Death Cab for Cutie: "I cried the first time I heard it."

11. "All These Things That I’ve Done" – The Killers: "The gospel choir gives me goose bumps every single time, still."

12. Daft Punk is Playing At My House" – LCD Soundsystem: "If I had to dance to one song for the rest of my life, this would be the one."

13. "Pink Moon" – Nick Drake: "Just a classic."

14. "The Only Living Boy in New York" – Simon & Garfunkle: "This is Go’s all time favorite song. It reminds me of him."

15. "Army" – Ben Folds Five: "Because of these genius lyrics: In this time of introspection, On the eve of my election, I say to my reflection, God please spare me more rejection, Cause my peers they criticize me, And my ex-wives all despise me, Try to put it all behind me, But my redneck past is nipping at my heels."

16. "Sweet Dreams" – Eurithmics: "This was my favorite song as a child."

17. "Hallelujah" - Jeff Buckley: "Yes, I know, it's really Leonard Cohen's but I like it best performed by Jeff Buckley."

18. "I’d Rather Dance with You" – Kings of Convenience: "I think this is the most often played song on our iTunes."

19. "My Sharona" – Knack: "Um, do I even need to explain?"

20. "I Turn My Camera On" – Spoon: "A pleasantly eerie tune."

21. "Hey Hey What Can I Do" - Led Zeppelin: "You've got to blast this one and sing at the top of your lungs to truly appreciate this song."

22. "Sleeping With the Lights On" - Teitur: "For melodramatic moods."

23. "Dear Lord" - Joseph Arthur: "The harmonica does it for me."

24. "City Walls" - Matt Hopper: "A sweet and simple little ditty."

25. "Trouble" - Cat Stevens: "Harold and Maude."

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Great list...I could never do that...figure out which songs are my fav. partly because I never know the title...just the tune and lyrics..and usually the artist. I wish I knew this about you when we were closer...my dad and I played "Snippets" when I was a kid. "I will follow you into the dark" slays me. I cry every time I hear it...."...if there's no one else around you when your soul embarks...then I will follow you into the dark." Every time, i'm misting now.

KatieB said...

loved your choices annie.

[alisar] said...

I am so glad you made this list - now I'm going to burn them to a disk and have an "Annie's favs" soundtrack. Have I ever told you that the "Gracie Jackson Baby Shower" CD is one of my staples?

ericareynolds said...

I've been stalking your blog today. Scary, I know. But what can I say, I'm weird. :) I just printed out your recipe for Chicken tikka masala and am going to try it for dinner tomorrow night. Somewhere rattling around in my brain is a vague memory of hearing about this dish from you and of course, I love Indian food. I may even wear a turban. Hee. hee.

Melissa said...

So glad Ben Folds made the list.

Audra Bollard said...

Good mix of the classics with the current. Fun post! Gives me some new ideas to download too.