Thursday, October 08, 2009

Happy Stuff

Life's been rough lately so let's do some good old fashioned focusing-on-the-positive.

Ten happy things as of late:

1. Alligator Wrestling!
This week for May's gymnastics class was "Bring Your Teddy Bear to Class."
"May, go and pick out the teddy bear you want to take to gymnastics today," I said.
May pouted and said "No, I don't want to bring a bear (pronounced "beer")," then brightened.
"I know! I'll bring my alligator!"
Oh, how my heart swells with delight when my children go off the beaten path!
Seeing May doing forward-rolls with a stuffed alligator that was almost as big as she is
had the whole gymnastics-waiting-room giggling.

2. A Fun Upcoming Weekend!
Bashing around DC with the Ringgers in a couple of days.


3. Listening to Other People's Conversations!
I'm an avid eavesdropper. Some may think it rude but if you talk next to me while on your cell,
you can bet your bippies I'll be listening.
I've heard some fascinating one-sided conversations lately. Some favorite lines:
"Mom, did you take your medication this morning?" (exasperatedly repeated about 12 times)
"His therapist said I should encourage non-contact sports for him so we're considering ballet."
"Yah, he's still under rabies quarantine. Yes. Still."

4. Flower Costumes!
The girls Halloween costumes aren't fully complete but what's been finished looks really cute.
It's been fun constructing them. More about this later.

5. The Tube!
Fall TV. Good stuff. Just pretend I really meant telenovelas.
It's funnier that way.

6. Less Boring Dishwashing!
This American Life and The Moth podcasts. I know I've said this before.
Still.
They make me happy.

7. My Baby!
Olive is starting to sit without support. She is pure joy.
This isn't Olive. The real thing will be featured tomorrow.

8. Best $60 I Spent This Year!
Playing Beatles Rock Band as a family. My girls totally understand the magic
of John, Paul, George and Ringo.
Heart swelling!
I'm a proud mama.

9. The Movie I've Been Waiting My Whole Life to Be Made!
Seeing it soon.

10. Another Party!
May's birthday party is in the works.
The theme: NATURE.
Should be good. More about that also later.

4 comments:

bethany said...

Sorry you've been having a hard time lately-I know the feeling. At least you don't live in UT. Things could always be worse.

I'm so excited to see the girls' costumes!! I'm sure they are fantastic. And May's party sounds fabulous as well-you are so creative!!
Love ya Annie!

yomama said...

Me can't wait for tomorrow's feature of pure joy.

john said...

Have you seen the previews for fantastic mr. fox?

Brandon Bridge said...

Cannot wait to see that movie, and those costumes you're making! Dito to what John said? Looks so awesome.