Because the class-room type pull-down maps are $$$, I'm doing the poor man's version. I bought two aesthetically pleasing 30"x50" Rand McNally laminated maps (the colors! the border! the fonts!)--one U.S. and one world. My plan is to attach them to boards and hang them gallery-style in the big blank wall in our kitchen above the huge vintage desk that we recently acquired. I know the maps will be super functional because the girls are always asking geography-based questions, but also I'm thinking they will end up making charming art pieces. I love it when form meets function.
Wednesday, September 02, 2009
I Like Maps
Did anyone else love the part in Sleepless in Seattle where Tom Hanks' character pulls down the map and shows Jonah how far it is from Seattle to Baltimore? Was anyone else, like, 12 years old, sitting in the theater thinking "I must have one of those maps in my house some day," ?
Because the class-room type pull-down maps are $$$, I'm doing the poor man's version. I bought two aesthetically pleasing 30"x50" Rand McNally laminated maps (the colors! the border! the fonts!)--one U.S. and one world. My plan is to attach them to boards and hang them gallery-style in the big blank wall in our kitchen above the huge vintage desk that we recently acquired. I know the maps will be super functional because the girls are always asking geography-based questions, but also I'm thinking they will end up making charming art pieces. I love it when form meets function.
Because the class-room type pull-down maps are $$$, I'm doing the poor man's version. I bought two aesthetically pleasing 30"x50" Rand McNally laminated maps (the colors! the border! the fonts!)--one U.S. and one world. My plan is to attach them to boards and hang them gallery-style in the big blank wall in our kitchen above the huge vintage desk that we recently acquired. I know the maps will be super functional because the girls are always asking geography-based questions, but also I'm thinking they will end up making charming art pieces. I love it when form meets function.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Sweet! My dollar store one isn't nearly as cool. My girls ask geography questions all the time too....??!! Have you posted a pic of your vintage desk? Sounds neat!
Great idea!! I was going to do this too, except I wanted one that filled an entire huge wall. Too bad they only cost about $500.....
I love love Maps! i have a huge collection of them. At costco right now they have HUGE laminated ones that are $6--go now! or go to a teacher supply online store and you can even get the wall size ones for cheap.
i have always loved that part of the movie! spencer has a huge world map in his room and a solar system map on his ceiling! love em!
Dave wallpapered his room with national geographic maps when he was in high school.... Maps and taco bell wrappers. I liked the maps much better
That last comment was from me, under one of my other aliases.
Unkie Tim loved maps. I tolerated his love for maps by letting him put one in the upstairs hallway where only he and the kids could see it because in those days an aesthetically pleasing map was not a cheaperific map and Unkie Tim loved his money more than maps.
Anyway, many a time I'd catch Tim being a dad in front of that map with whomever was willing to look for crap with him on that map.
If it weren't for maps, my kids might have gone to bed on time.
Very cool idea. Brandon is obsessed with maps.
i cannot WAIT to see the pictures! You have such an amazingly creative mind!
Post a Comment