Thursday, January 15, 2009

Another Exciting Adventure While at Gymnastics

I am at gymnastics, listening to music, knitting, and watching my squirrely kid ignore her gymnastics teacher. I take one bud out of my ear for a moment and the woman next to me with the appliqued snowflake sweater vest points to my iPhone and says "What are you listening to?"

"Oh, it's on shuffle," I say with a shrug, not really feeling in the mood for chitchatting it up with a stranger. And, ok SUE me for judging a book by its cover but I didn't for see much music-compatibility with Appliqued Snowflake Sweater Vest Lady, as pleasant as she seems to be. I know, I know--I'm a total snob. I realize this and resist the urge to stuff the bud back into my ear canal and let it dangle there, which in case you didn't know, is the universal sign for "We may now converse."

"Well, what song is it right now?" she pushes.

"Uh, right now?"

She smiles. "Sure."

"Um...O.P.P."

"O.P.P.?" she says and cocks her head to one side.

Without hesitation, I start singing "Yah, like "You down with O.P.P.? Yah, you know me!" I am also in the mood where I don't care what anyone thinks of me. (I am in this mood most of the time.)

Her nose automatically wrinkles but she tries to cover it up. "Oh, I think I remember that song..." and she sort of shifts and turns her back to me.

Aaaaaand conversation over.

Back into the ear the bud goes.

Well, she's the one who asked. If only she had asked a minute before, I could have replied with a much more palatable Cat Stevens.

8 comments:

Brandon Bridge said...

haha Nice

Beth said...

Ahh, OPP. So many memories. Good times, man. Good times.

Dehner Family said...

Cousin - Your bitterness towards strangers is inspiring. I think it's a Garlock thing, some people just wouldn’t understand. By the way, who still listens to Naughty By Nature? Mike

[alisar] said...

I especially love you when you're pregnant.

Kristen said...

When you sang it, did you wave some hand signs around by your belly? Because if you did, it would definitely put you up even a few more notches in my coolest friend category.

Mandy said...

Good stuff! You should have just replied, "My man put it on here cuz I his baby mama and he wants our kid to know the classics."

Anonymous said...

you are my hero.

Jennifer said...

I'm down with OPP!