Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Very Embarrassing Moment in Just Ten Sentences

1. I always wear spandex bike shorts when I spin with seamless, padded crotches for comfort and to minimize chaffing.
2. You don’t wear them with underwear.
3. No one does; it’s just the way it is.
4. The pair I wore Friday are 4 years old.
5. At the end of class, I always go through about 5-10 minutes of stretching with everyone while we cool down.
6. One of these stretches involves standing on one foot a couple of feet away from the bike while the other foot is up on the handlebars and you're reaching towards your toes.
7. Just imagine this last sentence for a moment and when you get a good, solid mental image, proceed with reading.
8. I’ve always had a fear that someday the seams in my shorts would give way and there would be holes in my bike short’s nether regions and I’d be there in front the class, just smiling and stretching away, clueless to the rips down below.
9. That fear came to pass last Friday.
10. That is all.

23 comments:

Beth said...

I'm so sorry. Humiliating, but seriously so funny I can hardly stand it. My only question is how did you find out about the rip? Personal observation after the fact, or was it brought to your attention during the actual stretching?

Annie said...

I got home and went to shower. Upon removal of the bike shorts, 4 quarter sized holes were discovered. Screams of anguished were released. Eye contact with Friday night gym going members will be minimal henceforth and forever.

Leilana Warren said...

Oh annie! That is so awful, though funny all at the same time. :) hopefully you were the only one who noticed. If not, i will wonder what kind of people you have in that class checking out your nether regions. :)

kassidi bridge said...

That's definitely a big UGH. So sorry...but I guess not super sorry because I'm still giggling. Hey at least you get to teach spin classes and stay in super good shape huh? Yeah, not working. Sorry :o)

bethany said...

Horrible and funny at the same time... hey, maybe more people will suddenly start showing up at your class now that they've heard about the extra show!

Kristen said...

I agree with Bethany - you may get a whole new group of people to scope out the hot chick with holes in her shorts.

Seriously tho - that's both horrible and funny.... um. wow.

josieposie said...

Maybe you do this already, but every time I walk by our spinning room at the Y the lights are always off... if you do this, please explain this to me. Why do they spin in the dark?

Annie said...

Oh if only my class was in the dark...

Old school spin classes happened in a pitch black room with black lights and like glo-in-the-dark- space decals everywhere. I don't know why. Maybe to help people get "in the zone" or something. But people started hurting themselves and having seizures from the black lights or something so now newer gyms shy away from spin rooms in the dark.

As does my room...full of windows and lots and lots of light. Yep. Perfect for flashing.

Tam said...

it was proabbaly everyone's favorite session. maybe you can put a tip jar by your bike. that sounded a bit crude, sorry.

DallonFamily said...

HAHAHA!! I'm sorry I'm taking so much enjoyment over your extreme humiliation. That is awesome!!

Nate and Jen Poulson said...

Fabulous! I hope for your sake it was one of the dark spin rooms and maybe the other bikers just thought it was a shadow.
But only you knew what it was when those turbo fans gushed a stream of cold air to those nether regions.
You can no longer say you can't think of an embarrassing moment.

Annie said...

Tip jar. You mean my sports bra?

How's that for crude?

Nate and Jen Poulson said...

I revoke my previous comment after reading the others. (Maybe I should do that first before I make a comment.)
Maybe then, you should consider doing it old school and turn out the lights. Or you can always wear a sack over your head.

Nate and Jen Poulson said...

Or start a revolution and go in naked? Maybe you'll get your own show where they block out the unmentionables with a black bar. Instead of the naked chef, you be the naked spinner???

KatieB said...

classic.

Audra Bollard said...

AAAHHHHH! I just don't have the words.

And these comments and responses were equally entertaining I must say.

MOMMACITA said...

I feel your paralyzing pain. It was unitard seaseon (truly...I'm not just saying it because of the name on your blog...)in the early 90's, and when I got home and discovered about a quarter sized portion of my nethers not covered, (for the same exact reason btw), I immediately buried my face in my pillow and screamed. Then I thought back on the look on the trainer's face. Think: the I smell something horrible look. I am now scarred. So are you. I am sorry, from the bottom (and nethermost part) of my compassion.

Aby Runyan said...

Maybe you'll become a YMCA urban myth and I'll hear about the spin-instructor with the ripped bike shorts all the way out here in Missouri. That would REALLY make my day!
luvs, aby

Mandy said...

....I think I got an email forward about that. "Hidden Porn Dangers in your local Golds Gym! Sign this petition now!". I had no idea that was YOU!:)

Lucy said...

So, so funny. Good luck tomorrow night! I'm interested to know if the numbers in your class goes way, way up. I mean...lots of people like free shows:)

I think my favorite thing is your label, "crap". Perfect.

[alisar] said...

You know, I've never had a yoga instructor who wore underpants, or cared the least little bit that I could tell she wasn't wearing underpants. Perhaps that fitness instructor mentality is just rubbing off on you.
Are you sure it was an accident?

Emily said...

Ooooooh Annie. I don't even know what to say. I'm so sorry. Once in elementary school I wore a skirt on a Friday (Friday Flip-up day...hello!) and I thought I was traumatized! Let's look at the positive. I'm betting you got a new pair of bike shorts :)

Graham Fam said...

Thanks for the laugh at your expense. That is too awesome. Not that I'm trying to picture it!